II. 2: 2066. November 16th, Tuesday, 9:00

Rose arrives at the address Mr Johnson gave her the day before. It is a small diner, with the letters "Sophia's Cozy Corner" above the door. It stands on an empty parking lot. Above the diner, there is a second story, which looks like an apartment. Rose checks the door and sees it is closed.

Did Mr Johnson really ask to meet her in a closed diner? Maybe she got the hour wrong. Or the address.

But then a car stops next to her and Mr Johnson gets out.

"Good morning," he says with a smile on his face. "I wasn't sure you were going to show. I startled you yesterday."

He tries to kiss her on the cheek, but Rose takes a step back.

"Did you know the diner is closed?"

Mr Johnson smiles. "I do know that. But it's ok, I know the owners." He gets some keys out and unlocks the front door. "After you. Unless you are uncomfortable sitting alone in a diner with me."

"It's ok." Rose smiles. "I brought my gun."

They enter the diner. It is quite small, with four different boots lining the front wall, and a bar in the back. My Johnson takes a seat in the nearest boot and gestures to Rose to do the same.

"You're probably wondering what I'm offering."

"Yeah, I'm curious."

"I only need you to do one little thing. I need you to put a tracking device on your boss's car."

"Why?" Rose asks.

"I want to see where he goes."

"I figured," Rose says. "That is what a tracking device is for. But why do you need to track his whereabouts? And why do you need me to plant it?"

"That is not of your concern. Place the tracker, ask no questions, and get the money."

"I don't trust you," Rose says.

"I get that. I'll pay you half beforehand. Does that make things better?"

"Okay, I'll do it. But I still don't trust you."

"Great," He searches in his pockets and reveals a strange-looking device. It is as big as a matchbox.

"This part is adhesive," he shows. "Stick this side to the bottom of this car, and we will be able to track him."

"Is it that easy?"

"Yes."

There must be a catch. No way that anyone would pay thirty thousand Eurodollars for such a simple job.

"What is the catch?" Rose asks.

"There is no catch. Place the tracker."

Mr Johnson reaches into his other pocket and hands Rose a credstick.

"I'll give you the other half when the job is finished."

Rose picks up the credstick, and looks at the display

"€$ 15 000"

Rose walks back to her car and sits in the driver's seat. After entering the address of the racing track, she watches the buildings and trees pass as the car dives to its destination. She looks at the credstick and plays around with it. Fifteen thousand Eurodollars is a lot of money. Image what she can buy for Ellie with it.

Then she thinks again. Does she trust Mr Johnson? He just gave her a lot of money for a simple job. A job he probably could do himself, as he said he was at the racing track himself often. Or maybe he was lying? Rose doesn't know.

Then again, what is the worst that could happen? It was a tracking device. Mr Smith, an infamous bookie, probably had lots of people who would be interested in knowing where he goes. Maybe other people were fixing bets, and using this info to do it.

Rose puts it out of her mind. All she has to do was put the device in the car. She wasn't responsible for anything else that happens afterwards. Plant the device, and get the money. Easy as pie.

Mr Smith always paid her well and has been good to her. Maybe it was wrong to betray him. Or maybe he deserves it? How many innocent pilots died because of his actions? Or her own actions, Rose thinks. She wasn't innocent in all this. She kept telling herself that she did it for Ellie's tuition, to give her a better life. But if she really believed that, maybe it was better to take Mr Johnson's money. More money for an easier job, with less collateral damage.

She looks again at the credstick. More than a month's wages. For a job that could be finished in minutes. She needed to do it. Ellie deserved the money.

"Don't worry little angel," Rose whispers. "I am going to take care of you. There is nothing I wouldn't do."