For the Best

Haldey's POV:

Walking into the locker rooms, I go over to my locker and put all my flight gear in my bag, but keep my uniform on. Once I get everything I needs I walk over to Jake, he looks irritated.

"You okay?" I ask.

"Perfect." Jake says slamming the locker, not convincing me at all. "Let's just go."

"Okay."

I follow him out of the base to his truck, I slept at his last night so he drove me this morning. I get in the passenger seat, and Jake gets in the drivers side, still seeming not okay.

I wanted to ask him about it but I decided it would be best to talk at home. Once we pull into the garage, Jake heads straight into the house and I quickly follow him. He stops in the kitchen putting his hands on the counter.

I walk up to him and put a hand on his shoulder, "Jake? Baby what's wrong?"

"Nothing!"

"Well clearly something is on your mind. You can tell me."

"Can I?" He seers turning his head to me. "Because you don't even know half of the things I'm struggling with!" Jake is now standing straight up, right in front of me, not even a foot away.

"Because you won't talk to me! You don't tell me shit! Hell you haven't even looked in my direction almost at all this week!" I stare at him, looking him straight in the eye.

"I don't tell you shit because you can't handle what I've been going through!" He shouts.

I get in his face, "oh really? The last time I checked I have gone through Hell and back with nothing but a smile on my face!"

"What did your dog die? Or did your daddy say no?"

"I TRIED TO FUCKING KILL MYSELF! NOT JUST ONCE, OR TWICE, SEVEN FUCKING TIMES! I'm depressed! People ask me what wrong but I can't tell them because I knew they would never understand! I even started cutting myself, do you know how many scars I have that you've asked about and I've made up a story? I almost died in a car accident with my parents, but unlike them, I'm still here! I watched as doctors rolled my parents away, with their blood on my hands!

"Also not to mention, if it weren't for Phoenix, I would not be here right now!"

"Making it about you again? Of course, typical Hadley Parker." Jake rolled his eyes.

I stared at him before taking a deep breath and telling him quietly, "maybe we should break up."

He looked at me with the same tired expression. "Maybe we should."

I look at him teary eyed, "I'll come back and get my stuff. I'm going home."

"It's probably for the best." Jake says shakily.

I grab my keys and head out to my car. I sniff as I sit in the front car and turn the key. I slowly rope out of the drive way and make my way back home. I go inside and change into my sweats before going to bed. For the first time in years I sob. Just like I when I was younger, trying to catch my breath but failing, trying to stop but failing, trying to reach for comfort...but failing.

The next morning I woke up with puffy red eyes and a splotchy face. I take a short cold shower to wake me up and put some makeup on. I put my tan uniform on, knowing I'm not going to fly today.

I was purposely going in two hours earlier then we needed to be and set off for the base. It was still darn out, the sun would be peaking over the east of the city anytime now. After I park my car, I walk into the building setting off for Admiral Wallace's office I knew he would be in.