Midnight

The singing stopped abruptly, and the person froze.  Star smiled at the sight before her, "Hello, hello," she greeted, "how can I be of assistance?" Her smile widened further when she saw the person standing stiffly before her. He looked like a little boy dressed in blue clothes, his hair tied behind his head. His body was skinny and short, and his hands hung limply at his sides. Star's grin spread wider as the stranger shuffled towards her, clearly terrified of her gaze.
He looked down and muttered something incomprehensible under his breath. Star tilted her head in puzzlement, "What was that?" She asked, smiling softly. His reply came in a whisper, "It...it was nothing," and he looked at the ground sheepishly. Star frowned slightly at this strange behaviour. She reached out for him, gently guiding his chin up so she could get a better look at him.  His face was round and covered with freckles, his large purple eyes seeming to sparkle despite the shadows that clung to his face. "You're...um..." he trailed off, his expression turning sad and guilty, "you're Star!" He exclaimed suddenly, pointing upwards with his hand.
"Oh," Star nodded, "Yes! Well done, kid. How'd you know?" She chuckled, patting the boy's cheek.
The boy's cheeks flushed red and he stammered, "Y—your name...the way you talk...all your...um...stuff..." His voice grew quieter and quieter until the last word was barely audible.
"That's right," Star nodded happily, "that's my name, Star! And you must be...?"
"Midnight!" The boy declared loudly.
"Nice to meet you Midnight." Star grinned, putting her arms around him and picking him up.
Midnight squeaked in surprise and flailed in panic, "Oof, you're strong...!" He mumbled shyly, clinging tightly to Star.
"Well, I try." Star grinned, "So how do I know you're me?!"
Midnight shrugged his shoulders, "Because I remember!" He explained, "And you're beautiful....and kind..... and smart...." He mumbled, burying his face into Star's neck. The soft sound of his voice sent shivers down Star's spine. She giggled nervously. Midnight didn't notice this and pressed on excitedly, "And you're really cool...and you sing..."
Star was speechless at this statement, "I...I do?" She blinked rapidly, trying to process the information.
Midnight nodded, his face still buried in the crook of Star's neck, "Yeah...you can sing well too!" he added proudly. Star blushed and laughed. She set Midnight down next to her, and he took a step back warily. Star raised her eyebrows curiously as Midnight's feet began to tingle uncomfortably.
Midnight rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. He turned away from her and faced the horizon again.
"Hey," Star said softly, stepping forwards, making him jump and spin around, "I think I'm going to be staying here now for a while, okay?" she reassured him, smiling warmly. Midnight sighed in relief and smiled too, and then he nodded.
"Thank you!" He replied.
Star beamed at him, and then sat cross-legged facing him, "But, if you need to leave, then please let me know, alright? We don't want any problems."
Midnight nodded eagerly again and then he stepped closer and hugged her legs tightly.  Star froze momentarily before reaching her arms out to hug him back.
"Thanks, Star!" He whispered. Star smiled down at him and stroked his curly locks before getting up slowly, and stretching. Midnight climbed to his feet and mimicked her movements, yawning widely and rubbing his eyes.
"Do you want to go explore the galaxy, Midnight?" Star asked, extending a hand and pulling him to stand in front of her, "We're going places!" She insisted, wiggling her fingers, "Come on, it'll be fun!"
Midnight shook his head quickly. "Nuh-uh," he mumbled, shaking his head vigorously, "No! No exploring! That sounds scary!" he said fearfully.
Star chuckled, "Scary? What are you talking about?" She asked, confused, "Nothing bad is gonna happen, right?"
Midnight bit his lip and shook his head. "Um no..." He admitted, glancing around before looking back at Star, "Just lots of scary things...bad things..." He said seriously, and Star cocked her head to the side. "Can we stay together forever?" He suddenly blurted out. The sudden change in topic caught Star aback and made her stumble on her words slightly.
"...hmm..." she contemplated for a moment before nodding, "Of course, we can!" She responded, laughing heartily. "There's nowhere else I want to go more than here. Wherever you are, I'm always happy! Isn't that what friends are supposed to do?"
Midnight smiled brightly at that response. He grabbed Star's arm and squeezed it tightly, "Okay! Let's be friends forever!" He exclaimed cheerfully. Star giggled at the enthusiastic reply. After all, she wanted friends. She wanted someone who liked music and wanted to make her laugh, someone who would listen and understand her. Someone who loved the moon just as much as she.