"Who'd want to kill Slughorn?" 

"Dumbledore reckons Voldemort wanted Slughorn on his side," Harry said. "Slughorn was in hiding for a year before he came to Hogwarts. And maybe Voldemort wants him out of the way, maybe he thinks he could be valuable to Dumbledore." 

"But you said Slughorn had been planning to give that bottle to Dumbledore for Christmas," Ginny reminded him. "So the poisoner could just as easily have been after Dumbledore." 

"Then the poisoner didn't know Slughorn very well," Hermione said, speaking for the first time in hours and sounding as though she had a bad head cold. "Anyone who knew Slughorn would have known there was a good chance he'd keep something that tasty for himself." 

"Er-my-nee," croaked Ron unexpectedly from between us. Everyone fell silent, watching him anxiously, but after muttering incomprehensibly for a moment he merely started snoring. The dormitory doors flew open, making us all jump: Hagrid came striding toward us, his hair rain-flecked, his bearskin coat flapping behind him, a crossbow in his hand, leaving a trail of muddy dolphin-sized footprints all over the floor. 

"Bin in the forest all day!" he panted. "Aragog's worse, I bin readin' to him didn' get up ter dinner till jus' now an' then Professor Sprout told me abou' Ron! How is he?" 

"Not bad," Harry said. "They say he'll be okay." 

"No more than six visitors at a time!" said Madam Pomfrey, hurrying out of her office. 

"Hagrid makes six," George pointed out. "Rory doesn't count"

"Oh yes" Madam Pomfrey said, who seemed to have been counting Hagrid as several people due to his vastness. To cover her confusion, she hurried off to clear up his muddy footprints with her wand. 

"I don' believe this," Hagrid said hoarsely, shaking his great shaggy head as he stared down at Ron. "Jus' don' believe it. Look at him lyin' there. Who'd want ter hurt him, eh?"

"That's just what we were discussing," Harry said. "We don't know." 

"Someone couldn' have a grudge against the Gryffindor Quidditch team, could they?" Hagrid said anxiously. "Firs' Katie, now Ron" 

"I can't see anyone trying to bump off a Quidditch team," George said. 

"Wood might've done the Slytherins if he could've got away with it," Fred said fairly. 

"Well, I don't think it's Quidditch, but I think there's a connection between the attacks," Hermione said quietly. 

"How d'you work that out?" asked Fred. 

"Well, for one thing, they both ought to have been fatal and weren't, although that was pure luck. And for another, neither the poison nor the necklace seems to have reached the person who was supposed to be killed. Of course," she added broodingly, "that makes the person behind this even more dangerous in a way, because they don't seem to care how many people they finish off before they actually reach their victim." Before anybody could respond to this ominous pronouncement, the dormitory doors opened again and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley hurried up the ward. They had done no more than satisfy themselves that Ron would make a full recovery on their last visit to the ward; now Mrs. Weasley seized hold of Harry and hugged him very tightly. 

"Dumbledore's told us how you saved him with the bezoar," she sobbed. "Oh, Harry, what can we say? You saved Ginny you saved Arthur now you've saved Ron" 

"Don't be . I didn't" muttered Harry awkwardly. 

"Half our family does seem to owe you their lives, now I stop and think about it," Mr. Weasley said in a constricted voice. "Well, all I can say is that it was a lucky day for the Weasleys when Ron decided to sit in your compartment on the Hogwarts Express, Harry." Harry looked almost glad when Madam Pomfrey reminded them all that there were only supposed to be six visitors around Ron's bed. Harry and Hermione rose at once to leave and Hagrid decided to go with them, leaving Ron with his family.