Chapter 2

It was the next day and you finished your chores early to be able to hang out with William and hamish.

They came to your house and you all rode your horse to a area to play.

As you three were playing a bunch of English men on horses came running and you three hid.

The Englishmen rode off and you three peaked out to watch them.

"With your father and brother gone. They'll kill us and burn the farm." Hamish said panicked

"It's up to us Hamish" William said

"Don't be a whimp Hamish" you said

You three let out a scream and started throwing rocks at some targets y'all make. You hit yours with perfect aim. William hit his and hit hamish's. You and Hamish looked to William and William say there with a proud smile.

"Nah" Hamish said and punched William square in the face.

You three were laughing and fighting, splashing water on each other just enjoying the sunny day.

You stayed the night with William that night because you knew he wouldn't want to be alone.

You both had a good feast but fell asleep at the table.

You helped William with his chores when you both heard a cow mooing.

William ran to the sound but found other men carrying something towards his house.

It was his father and brother. Your eyes widened and William walked away not wanting to believe it.

He went on with his chores but you stood there in shock that he lost his family.

"William. Come here lad" Campbell said

William hesitated but turned to face the man and walked forward.

"You should go home little y/n" Campbell said and you nodded.

You tapped Williams shoulder and he faced you crying

"I have to go home. But come visit me anytime ok." You said and he nodded

You got on your horse and rode off back home. Heartbroken for William.

(Time skip)

A funeral was held for Williams lost family. A prayer was said and then they started burying his father and brother.

Everyone gave their condolences for William and left him to be alone.

You stayed by his side knowing he would need a friend and he was grateful to have you.

You heard footsteps running closer and you saw murron running with a flower and he tugged on Williams sleeve. He turned to her and she gave him the flower.

He smiled and had a tear running down his face. You smiled at murron as she ran back to her mother.

You and William looked to see a man riding in on a white stallion and he rode up to William. He got off his horse and approached William.

"William, I'm your uncle, argyle." The man said and took Williams face in his hand

"You have the look of your mother" the man said and looked to you

He had a scar on his face and had a white eye. You knew the man had fought in the war.

"Who are you young lady." The man asked

"My name is y/n. Williams best friend." You said and the man smiled

"I'll take good care of him. You should go with yer mother." He said and you nodded running off

Dinner was a little sad because of the events that happened. You worried for William and what would become of him. You decided you would visit him tomorrow and take some food for him.

(Next day)

You did your normal chores and then packed up some food then headed to Williams.

When you got there you saw a carriage full of stuff and William packing things with his uncle.

Your heart dropped and you started sprinting over.

"William!" You yelled and the boy focused his blue eyes on you

He stood up and you finally made it over to him and you saw tears in his eyes

"Where yer going?" You asked the boy

"My uncle is taking me in his custody, says we can't stay here." William says

"Well where will yer be?" You asked

"Uncle said he has a farm in France to stay for the time being." William said

"Y-yer can't leave me. What about Hamish and your farm, it's in yer hands now." You said

"I'll be back y/n, I promise" he said and started crying

The boy picked up his bag and started to walk but stopped.

He dropped his things and ran back wrapping his arms around you. You immediately hugged him back and buried your head in the crook of his neck.

"Promise me you'll come back to us" you said with a cracking voice

"I promise" he said and tightened his hold on you

"I'll keep murron away from boys for yer. She won't get married till yer come back for her hand." You said and William laughed but nodded

William grabbed his things and got on the carriage his uncle whipped the horse and they were off.

William turned in his seat and looked to your form one more time and waved.

You waved back slowly but had tears running down your face.

You picked up your bag of food and headed back to your house.

You told your parents what happened and they understood why this hurt you. You went into your room and didn't come down the rest of the night.