0.1 A Kingdom In The Past

Start from the beginning

Afterwards, he becomes the center of her universe. And so is he for his father. If they were each other's solace before, each other's home, their son has only beautified that home for them.

"Adam."

Halah laughs as he crawls towards her. As he's growing, he brings something new with him every day-- something of greater joy each time.

"Come to us, namir," Marwan crouches on the floor with his arms extended towards him. "Come here."

He crawls to them until he's into his father's arms and Marwan lifts him up. Adam smiles and so do his eyes, the black of them brighter than anything else in the world for her.

"He will grow up to be handsome like his baba," she says, smiling at her husband. "His eyes are brilliant as yours, habibi."

Marwan kisses his forehead, and crosses his legs, settling on the floor of their chamber with Adam on his lap.

"May he grow up brave and courageous, Halah. Fearless in his pursuit of his right. May he be wise and just. Guided in his pursuit of right."

"Ameen."

Halah caresses the baby's head and now he looks up at his parents with curious eyes. She prays a thousand times for him. She prays God give him more than that which she can word or imagine. She leans down and kisses his forehead as well.

When he can finally stand, Marwan offers him his finger to help him walk. When he can finally walk, he takes him one day to walk with him as he strolls through the garden discussing affairs with his officials. Halah finds the sight adorable and amusing.

"Umi?"

"Yes, my prince?"

She fixes his hair as he comes to her out of breath one day. She wonders when she spun from one year of life into the next, but that years have been adding to one another and days that have passed are too many to count. Her son is growing up too quickly and she tries to keep every moment spent with him etched in details on her mind.

"Can I go horse riding?" the young prince asks.

"With whom, azizi?"

He points to a guard in the distance.

"Where is your baba?" Halah inquires.

"He left without me."

She smiles at his sweet complaint and fallen face.

"I'll ask your baba to take you with him tomorrow. Or I can take you myself."

"But I don't want to ride in a carriage," he objects.

"I'll make a note of it." She gestures to where some of the children of the officials are playing. "Now how about you play with those boys for today, my prince?"

He looks in the direction, then shakes his head.

"I'll play with my bow."

"You can share with them," she suggests.

"They don't like my bow. They don't know how to play with it."

He goes to sit at a side where his bow is lying and plays with it on his own. Halah doesn't know why her son prefers not to mingle with others.

"Habibi?"

That night she walks up to her husband sitting in a chair and studying some papers. She comes from behind him, wrapping her arms around his broad shoulders.

"Yes, hayati?" he replies, relaxing back against her.

"Your son has requested you take him for horse riding tomorrow."