chapter twenty-eight ; "fear."

Start from the beginning

The only member of the group that did not sing, however, was their commander, a man named Locke. He was older than the majority of the soldiers there, his face haggard and plagued with the lines of age.  On his lower face, where his darkly coloured, rugged beard began, there were various scars - which were not made from a sword, only a large animal, like a wolf could have inflicted such deep and injuring wounds. Locke's eyes were dark and small, sitting on either side of a nose that had been broken several times - which bent crookedly and awkwardly. 

"She kicked and wailed, a maid so fair," Jenny squirmed under their gazes, pressing her back closer against Jaime's. 

A  young soldier, which walked on the other side of Jaime and Jenny, smirked. "But he licked the honey from her hair," he sang, leaning forwards to the maiden and with a laugh, he pulled the white-haired braid of Jenny's hair. 

Unexpecting the interaction, the maiden yelped and suddenly Jaime sprung to life. "Do not touch her if you still want hands, boy," he hissed, narrowing his emerald eyes dangerously. 

In reply, the soldier chortled, pulling Jenny's hair again. "Kingslayer, I will do whatever I please with the maiden," he looked at the dishevelled former member of the King's Guard with malice, "You are not in a position to do anything." 

Jenny turned to look at the soldier, who still had hold of her hair, causing her to lean to the side of the horse. She twisted awkwardly to see him. 

 A scornful expression crossed her face, "I am Lady Jenny of House Daemadar, or have you forgotten that, Ser?" she spat, "My brother is Lord Bolton's son-by-law, or have you forgotten that, Ser?" she reiterated, as the man reluctantly let go of her hair. 

The soldier shook his head, looking up at the woman, with anger in his dark eyes. "You are a traitorous bitch," he snapped, "You have committed treason against the cause, do you really think your title and brother will save you?" 

The young woman blinked. She had never thought of it that way, she had never analysed the possible risks of fleeing with Brienne and Jaime. The Daemadar had only ever assumed that she would be okay, that her title and her family name would shield her - but would it? 

"Don't listen," Jaime murmured quietly, "Your brother would never let anything happen to you," he pressed his back firmly against hers. 

The men continued to sing, "From there to here, from here to there! All black and brown and covered with hair!" 

The singing of jubilant soldiers transported Jenny back to the Lannister camp where she was first held captive all those moons ago, she remembered how the soldiers treated her with respect and listened to her sing for them. She smiled remembering it before her lips faltered, that was only because she was under their commander's protection - it was only because Jaime was in control. No one was in control now, the three of them were powerless, and Jenny knew of the attitude of these men, she was no longer an innocent maiden, she was considered an enemy of Robb Stark; the man who had loved her once. 

The Daemadar shivered, as she cast a look over the soldiers, knowing that they were the ones completely in control. Anything could happen to her; her brother wasn't here to save her and no one else was coming. 

Her eyes pricked with heat, and her sapphire eyes became glossed with tears and the pacing of her heart quickened. Her breath hitched in her throat and the air in her lungs became tight and restricted like she was drowning as her mind thought about all the possibilities of what would happen to her. Jenny tried to be brave, she bit the inside of her cheek, refusing to allow herself to cry - but she couldn't be brave when she was shaking like a leaf, the most fearful she had ever been in her life.