Chapter 14

"Harry," Draco popped his head into Harry's room, where he was still told to stay in bed as long as possible, now working on some summer homework. "Can I come in?"

"Hm?" Harry looked up, a smudge of ink on the side of his nose, smiling slightly when he saw Draco. "Sure, what's up?"

"Well," Draco sat on Harry's bed. "Two things really. 1) Mum says that we are going to Diagon Alley tomorrow for school stuff and your new wand, if we have more time and you're feeling good then we can get stuff to personalise your room. 2) We managed to get some of this."

Draco held up a small vial, about the size of his fingernail, which was about half full with a thick, pale pink coloured liquid. The vial itself was very fancily decorated, and the liquid caught the light beautifully, it was hard for Harry to remove his eyes from it.

"What is it?" Harry put his homework to the side, leaning in closer, eyes attached to the vial.

"It's the venom of this creature called Saiwola which are similar to death eaters. If we use a very small amount this is entirely safe, and they are often used in love potions or calming potions. They make the taker feel comfortable, maybe changing what they are actually experiencing, but nothing else to the taker. The giver will end up inherently knowing how to comfort the taker." Draco adjusted his grip on the vial so Harry could no longer see it, clearly he was the kind of person a Saiwola would target. "It's not exactly uncommon to use it in situations like ours, and I wanna know how to comfort you. You know, how every year something happens. I want to be there for you."

"Just curious, you mentioned before that it might be hard for us to be apart until we complete the bond, but I don't think we've done anything about that. How do we complete the bond?" Harry shook his head as soon as he couldn't see the venom.

"Oh, for that we have sex. There's no rush for it though, my parents didn't complete their bond until about nine months before I was born. The bond can be broken if at least one of the people have sex with someone else." Draco shrugged, honestly he didn't put much thought into it, but Harry paled.

"Um," Harry coughed, looking away from Draco, feeling extremely uncomfortable at the way to break the bond. Of course he hadn't exactly had consensual sex before, but that didn't mean that he hadn't technically agreed and had sex regardless. "So how does the taking the venom work? Both of us together or..?"

"I was thinking we should take it one at a time so we can fully understand how the other feels." Draco readjusted his position on the bed, moving so he was leaning against the pillows next to Harry. "I... Was thinking that you would go first. I mean, not to be rude, but you go through a lot more shit and I want to be there for you properly."

"I... Yeah, sounds good." Harry honestly wanted to feel the comfort Draco said it would make him feel, he was feeling rather twisted inside from the mating bond rules.

"Open your mouth." Draco told Harry, unscrewing the vial, the lid having a very fine dropper that looked rather like a capillary tube, letting a single drop fall on to Harry's tongue. "How do you feel? You can have up to 3 drops, but absolutely no more."

"I feel pretty much the same, maybe a little less worried." Harry shrugged, the twisted feeling in his gut was loosening, but it wasn't quite gone.

"You feel worried?" Draco furrowed his eyebrows, looking at Harry worried.

"I'm always at least a little worried." Harry laughed and shrugged, in a situation like his it was almost more unlikely not to feel worried.

"I'll give you another drop, then we'll see how you feel." Draco took another dip in the vial, but he was still worried. "And you know you can talk to me, right? We might not have been close before, but we are now."

"I know," Harry smiled a little shakily before he took the second drop.

The results were almost immediate. While Draco was next to him, his scent was no where near as strong before as it was after taking the second drop. Harry felt very like he did when he had first arrived at Malfoy Manor, enjoying the warmth and smell of Draco, except he wasn't worrying about when he was going to be forced back to the Dursleys. Harry cuddled up to Draco, pulling the duvet more closely around him.

"So the second drop was enough?" Draco smiled as Harry snuggled into him, sealing the vial back up.

"Mhm," Harry nodded, putting his head on Draco's chest.

Draco summoned a book he had been fond of when he was younger, one that there was no chance of Harry knowing. Without thinking about it Draco started playing with Harry's hair.

It wasn't clear when Harry fell asleep, surrounded by the smell of his mate and every other smell that made him comfortable, notably the Burrow, with Draco playing with his hair, listening to Draco's heartbeat, having a magical fairy tale read to them. Occasionally Draco would call Harry a "good boy" that Harry would likely be embarrassed or insulted, but honestly he did like it.

"Hey," Draco greeted Harry softly as he woke up. "You still feeling the effects of the venom?"

Harry made a non-comital noise in response, pulling a little closer to Draco, whose hand was still in his hair.

"Hard to tell, it makes me smell you like when I first got here." The words seemed to form and slip out of his mouth before he had even registered the question properly. Harry opened his eyes properly, readjusting himself so he was no longer using Draco as a pillow. "Yeah, I am definitely still feeling it."

"Oh?" Draco raised an eyebrow at Harry's new position.

"What? You think I'd say that if I wasn't still under the influence of the venom? We might be mates but I ain't that close to anyone." Harry sounded like he was joking, but it was true, he had nobody left to talk to about these kinds of things. Maybe he once had that in Sirius, but even then Harry never fully opened up to him for fear of causing Sirius trouble and putting him in danger.

"You know you probably should find someone to talk to." Draco nudged Harry gently.

"Yeah, yeah. Jeez, you're sounding like Hermione." Harry rolled his eyes, but he had never looked into it because he felt the need not to burden people with his problems. "When are you going to take it?"

"Probably the day after tomorrow." Draco rubbed the back of his neck, looking away from Harry.