Turning Away

As I stared at the deep ebony sky hours later I wondered if this was the right choice. I looked at the shimmery ivory stars peacefully keeping their watch above me. I felt their soft gaze follow me as I slid swiftly through the undergrowth around Sandy's shop. They were calling to me. Follow us!Follow us! They cried.

The stars contrasted with stark indifference to the dark swirling sky above me. The ebony and the ivory. Olive played them beautifully. Her hands brushed lightly and skillfully harmoniously blending in splendid patterns creating a masterpiece she only called a simple song. I miss those times in her room just sitting there listening to the notes slide, jump, and twirl gracefully around in my head. The memories edged me farther away from the now small and distancing shop behind.

Sandy had provided me with first aid supplies and stuff earlier on in the day so I shoved a small portion into my minimal storage space and slipped into the blissful shadow of night concealing any trace of my whereabouts in its soft, dark mass. The only witnesses are the moon and stars forever holding their peace and guiding me on through the wood's mystery and magic.

Where will they lead me?

I continue north bound. I just want to find her. Hug her. Just see her smiling face as she runs towards me to show me the new lizard or other eccentric creature she found. They were terrifyingly fantastic.Even the ones that scared me. I would have a million big,hairy tarantulas crawling up my arm, if I could see her again, for just one more day.

The night owl above me hooted softly and broke me from my thoughts. I felt the cool, gentle breeze slide swiftly through my now clean hair rejuvenating my saddened spirit. I stumbled blindly through the darkness over rocks and potholes , holding onto the large ominously looming tree trunks to keep my balance. I kept a steady pace for what felt like hours. Hunger and exaustion slowly took over my senses from over exertion and my roller coaster of emotions. I continued on for another half an hour or so and I found a large rock. It looked so beautiful as the eerie pearly white mist and silvery moonbeams danced gracefully upon its speckled surface. I slowly lowered my aching limbs to the damp ground and propped myself up against the rock. I set my head in a little nook in its surface and ate a few bites of a granola bar.

The night took its toll and I slipped into an uneasy sleep in its cold grasp. I was at nature's mercy now.