News Reports

"Maaaaappllle!!!" I heard my mother's voice ring through the trees probably calling me for dinner, instantly pushing me out of my thoughts.

"Coming!" I yelled back.

I climbed out of the tree and sprinted towards the farmhouse. As I arrived at the door, my mother's grim yet sympathetic look stopped me dead in my tracks.

"Mooom?" I said slowly.

"Over dinner we need to talk." She replied.

We went in and approached the dining room table. I closed my eyes and drew in the sharp scent of tangy spices and the sweet fragrance of homemade apple juice. As I sat down my mother cleared her throat loud and clear.

"Ahem" she said briskly.

" Yes?" I inquired slowly and carefully as not to anger her.

" They may have found a lead on Olive's case this morning" she said bluntly.

I nearly choked on my spicy barbecue chicken when she said this.

"Wha-"

I broke off and took a moment to recollect myself and then simultaneously blurted out the thought that's been running through my head since she went missing.

" She's not dead is she!"

"No,no she's not." My mother replied quietly.
" Someone thinks that they saw her outside of a mini-mart just inside of Illinois."

"So they brought her in right?"

"No" My mother paused for a moment choosing her words carefully.

"She was with a man and he forced her into a car. Witnesses say she was delirious and snapped everybody. "

I instantly dropped my fork. It clattered on the ground a rung with a chilling emptiness almost mirroring the way I inwardly felt. So she's been taken. I thought. My inner confidence that she was free collapsed. I felt numb. Is this a dream,or even a cruel joke? At this point, I don't remember much of what happened.

Of the little I do remember, I can tell it wasn't pretty. I remember screaming bloody murder and throwing things and finally just sinking to the floor as the weight of the situation dawned on me.

But soon after, a wave of eerie calmness washed over me and I soon slipped into sleep right then and there on the kitchen floor.