Chapter 5: Between a Captain and a Brother

Start from the beginning

"Answer me, Cahaya."

Solar narrowed eyes, "Worried brother it is."

"Something happened beyond these reports." Kaizo held up a folder which Solar could guess was the incident report he had submitted yesterday, "It's all too coincidental. I heard that you rejected Pang in the first place and after the incident, you suddenly had a change of heart? Unlikely."

"Keeping close tabs with your brother? I guess he was right to think that you don't trust him."

"Your constant need to change the subject is making me think that I'm right."

Solar huffed, "What can I say? He showed dedication and true qualities of becoming a Captain. It would be such a waste for TAPOPS if I didn't give him a chance."

"And what were the basis for these observations?"

"No assessment needed. He helped me defeat Adudu and made me realize that we make a great team. And if he could keep up with me like that, then mentoring him wouldn't be such a bad idea." Solar explained with a shrug, "And once he succeeds, then I get acknowledgement for being a great Captain. It's a win-win."

Silence met his response and he smirked, "I'm guessing that's not the answer you wanted to hear, Captain."

"According to a small interrogation with the criminals, Pang had aided them into raiding your room."

"And?"

Kaizo scowled at him, "You're not going to deny it?"

"I will neither deny nor confirm, Captain." He answered, "This way, I get to keep my promise with your brother while maintaining integrity to the organization."

"What promise?"

"It's confidential."

"I didn't think you'd be the sentimental type to keep things like promises." Kaizo started, his tone dark and filled with warning, "After all, you're pretty well-known for breaking them."

Solar tensed up and glared back at Kaizo, "If there's nothing else you'd like to confirm. Then it's best we end this pointless call-"

"You will stop whatever you're planning and withdraw your agreement with Pang."

He froze, eyes wide at the other's command.

"Did you just... order me to fail your brother?"

"No. I'm asking you to reconsider your choices before you regret it." Kaizo said firmly, "Ever since they disappeared, you've changed. And not in the best way."

Solar gritted his teeth trying to keep himself composed, "And do tell, Captain, how these changes affect your brother? Are you forgetting what I had been through to reach this rank? Do you really see me as someone so unreliable-"

"You are a tactical Captain. Unafraid to use every resource you have to get a job done. Efficient and effective when it comes to strategy." Kaizo stated without hesitation, "But sometimes you forget that your allies are not dispensable."

"I always make sure my plans are foolproof to avoid endangering the aliens involved-"

"And you make a habit of planning something that only benefits you. Regardless of the consequences." The older Captain continued, "And I fear my brother will take the brunt of it all."

Solar stared at him incredulously, before letting out a laugh of disbelief, "Lance Corporal Fang was right about your overprotective streak. It's a little disturbing since I never get to see this side of you, Captain. But I guess I should've expected this. You really don't trust your brother, huh?"