Chapter 5: Between a Captain and a Brother

Start from the beginning

"My apologies once more, Captain." He took out a photograph (that was still surprisingly intact) from his pocket, and handed it to him immediately, "I got caught up with the traps and didn't realize I accidentally pocketed this. I swear I wasn't-"

"You may go."

He turned around, not waiting for the other's response. His attention immediately turned to the photograph of him and his brothers.

A photograph he had completely forgotten about.

He vaguely heard the automated doors closing just as he took a seat on his desk.

He remembered the day they took the photo.

The calm before the storm.

Then the storm happened... and before he knew it, it was the last day he ever saw them again.

Eyes filled with resentment, disappointment and... sorrow.

.

.

.

.

.

A chime from his watch snapped Solar out of his reverie and he quickly wiped his face with his sleeves and grabbed his glasses from his desk when he realized it was a request call from Captain Kaizo.

He took a quick look of the clock on his desk as he turned on his lamp and was surprised to see he had overslept.

Commander would definitely give him an earful later. (And would get all annoyingly concerned while spouting how he had promised his grandpa to look after him or whatever.)

"Good morning, Captain Kaizo. Is there something you need?" Solar asked, trying to keep the exhaustion from his voice.

"Captain Solar," The alien paused as he finally got a good look of him through the holographic video, "Is this a bad time?"

"Not at all." Solar said, biting back a yawn, "Please continue whatever your call is about, Captain."

"Will you be coming in your office, today? I would like to discuss some... concerns regarding the recent course of events."

Ah, there it was.

"Are you talking to me as Fang's soon-to-be ex-Captain?" Solar raised an eyebrow, "...or as a worried brother?"

The glare sent to him was enough for a grown alien to cower in fear, but Solar had long been immune to those threatening looks.

It came as a package when you're a genius and you just love to prove a point.

"I'm merely asking for clarification," Solar continued as he stood up and leaned back against his desk, "Because if this is about some personal matter- we can talk right now instead of trying to put up a formal front in the office."

"I heard about what happened to your room."

"Another attempt from Adudu," Solar said without missing a beat, though he could already tell where this was going, "Because of the destruction he caused, it is now undergoing reconstruction and I'm currently staying in one of the extra rooms usually reserved for the cadets. Talk about nostalgic. But I should really thank him, I hated that room-"

"And Fang happened to be there during the break in? And according to the reports, he helped stop this criminal?"

"What's with the clarifications, Captain?" Solar couldn't help but ask in amusement, "You're usually so good at reading reports."