Chapter Twelve

Nightpaw yawned as Eaglefeather yowled in the center of the hollow in order to wake the Clan. It was just before moonhigh as Nightpaw scrambled out of her nest to see every warrior and apprentice gathered around Eaglefeather and Spiderstar.

"Eaglefeather and I have decided on which cats will stay behind in camp," Spiderstar started to say. "It doesn't mean that you don't have a part in battle because you'll be guarding the camp. The cats staying in camp will be-"

"Fadingfire, Riverpaw, Hazelpaw, Nightpaw, Vineloop, Willowear, Honeydrizzle, and Raccoonclaw." Eaglefeather cut Spiderstar off to announce the cats that were staying behind. Raccoonclaw let out a low growl as Nettlenose purred with delight. Nightpaw narrowed her eyes at the deputy. It was disrespectful to talk over your leader.

"Thank you, Eaglefeather, but I can speak for myself." Spiderstar cast a glance at the tom before standing up and signaling for everyone on the battle patrol to come to him. The elders, Lightningtail, and the kits stayed back as the patrol bounded out of camp. Nightpaw turned to her sister with a sigh.

"I hope ThunderClan wins," she mewed. "They've done nothing wrong."

Hazelpaw's eyes widned and she stared at Nightpaw as if she'd grown wings. "What? Are you crazy?"

Nightpaw tilted her head in confusion. "Why?"

"You're wishing that ThunderClan will win!" Hazelpaw scowled. "We're ShadowClan! Since when do we wish for our enemies to win in battle?"

"But they've done nothing wrong."

"That doesn't matter. ShadowClan always wins, hope and luck or not." Hazelpaw glared at Hazelpaw before walking over to Riverpaw. Nightpaw sighed and looked over at Tigerkit and Cottonkit. Tigerkit was rolling around on the ground, dirt caking his pelt. Cottonkit was trying to pounce on him with her claws sheathed. They'd become apprentices soon enough, providing more apprentices for ShadowClan. 

Nightpaw watched as Cottonkit started rolling on the ground alongside Tigerkit. The gray she-cat wouldn't scold her brother for rooting for another Clan. But Nightpaw listened to herself in her head before finding how dumb she sounded. 

Why did I ever think ThunderClan could beat ShadowClan in battle? Nightpaw's muscles tensed as her claws slid out to grip the dirt. ShadowClan is the fiercest Clan alive. No Clan will beat us.

And besides, with Eaglefeather and Spiderstar in control of the Clan, they were bound to stay strong and thrive for seasons to come. 

Nightpaw lifted her head from her paws as Eaglefeather led ShadowClan into the camp. "We've won!" He let out a yowl that rang through the hollow. Everyone cheered, rushing over to congratulate each other. 

Nightpaw looked at the conditions of the ShadowClan warriors. They had a couple scratches but nothing serious. But Spiderstar was being propped up between Deadwing and Crowbark. Nightpaw rushed toward Crowbark. "What happened to Spiderstar?"

"He was badly injured in battle," Crowbark hissed. "Move out of the way. He needs to see Vineloop." Nightpaw rushed out of the way as Crowbark and Deadwing led their leader toward Vineloop who was waiting outside of the medicine den. Nightpaw heard Hazelpaw run to her side.

"I hope Spiderstar is okay," Hazelpaw mewed. But Nightpaw was focusing on the deputy. His dark brown tabby fur was splotched with scarlet blood, but he was standing tall and strong. Nightpaw narrowed her eyes at him. Something was off.

But she was distracted by Crouchbeam coming up behind her daughters. Her white spotted tabby fur was matted with blood, but she only had a scratch on her shoulder. "I don't know what happened to Spiderstar," the she-cat murmured, watching the long-legged tom disappear into Vineloop's den. "I barely saw him during the battle."

"It's not your fault," Nightpaw mewed, resting her fluffy tail on her mother's shoulder.

"Those ThunderClan kittypets were just taking their anger out on him," Hazelpaw purred. "Besides, he has more lives to spare."

Crouchbeam shook her head. "Spiderstar only has two lives left to live. He's served his Clan for a while."

Hazelpaw and Nightpaw exchanged looks. Spiderstar only had two lives left? From the way he came into camp, he would most likely lose an eighth life, Nightpaw guessed.

"Well, let's pray to StarClan he recovers," Crouchbeam sighed as she licked her daughter's ears before walking away. Nightpaw watched as her mother walked over to Talonswipe. The small brown-and-yellow she-cat's pelt was matted and dotted with blood. Her claws were stained red, and Nightpaw noticed the same bloodstains on Eaglefeather's claws as his glinted in the twilight. 

Nightpaw let out a low growl. Something was definitely up with the two littermates. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, Nightpaw told herself. But the prophecy was stuck in her mind. An eagle's talon. What could that mean? And what is the night and star referring to?

Nightpaw cast a glance at Vineloop's den. She decided to talk to Vineloop later on about it. She was the Clan medicine cat, so surely, she'd know out of all cats.

"Riverpaw, stop it!" Wolfpaw squirmed away from her sister near the apprentice's den as Riverpaw poked at a clump of matted fur on Wolfpaw's shoulder. "I'll clean that myself!"

"If you say so," Riverpaw purred. "I was only trying to help."

"Addernose's claws got tangled in my fur," Wolfpaw complained as she drew her sandy tongue over the matted fur. "I hate those ThunderClan cats!" she hissed through fur.

Riverpaw drew her claws across the dirt. "I'd love to dig my claws into some kittypet fur!" 

"Then you should head over to the Twoleg nest," Nightpaw mewed, padding toward the two littermates. "There's some kittypets there." 

"I know," Riverpaw purred angerly. "I should go there and fight those mouse-brained cats myself!"

"But there'd be no need to do that!" Wolfpaw snapped at her sister. "Just leave them alone."

"Scared of the kittypets?" Riverpaw teased. 

"No!" Wolfpaw cried. 

Riverpaw scoffed. "Then come with me."

"Fine." Wolfpaw finished with her matted fur and stood straight. "Is anyone else coming?"

Riverpaw turned to look at Nightpaw. "You're right here, so do you want to come?"

"I-" Nightpaw stuttered. She hadn't had any battle training yet from Creekfeather. "I don't know any moves yet."

"So, now's a great time to learn some!" Riverpaw purred, bushing up her fur. "Alright! We're leaving at sunhigh!"

Nightpaw looked from the excited Riverpaw to the calmer Wolfpaw. "But don't we need a warrior to go with us?"

Riverpaw chuckled. "No! Only kits need warrior escorts."

Nightpaw smiled and stuck her tail in the air. She felt older than she really was. She'd be venturing out of camp to learn battle moves and experience a battle! Who cares if the kittypets did nothing? This land belonged to ShadowClan, and they needed to show those kittypets that it belonged to them!