ii. goodbyes

"You're leaving," Foolish words from a foolish boy. From a boy that had spent years being raised by her side, training together, learning, and working together. Sharing secrets in the dark of night, pushing one another to become the better warrior, to gain the favor of her father. There'd been times where they disagreed, more often, they'd been in disagreements. There had been the urge to compete, on who could better gain the favor of Uhtred and his men. Their friendship slightly tainted by competition and slight jealousy. She couldn't remember what their last disagreement had been about, they still have yet to reconcile.

Though, this moment felt like a great time to do so. Sparing him from any words, Klara simply embraced him. They used to be the same height, but he was now a head taller than her. She felt the sharpness of his chin pressed against her head.

"I do not want to," Klara whispered, burying her head deep into his chest until the comforting scent of pine and burnt wood filled her senses. The familiar scent that she'd sometimes wake up to, knowing that she was well protected. That it would be a night where she was able to get much sleep.

"I have something for you," He pulled away from her briefly, lightly brushing away at a stray tear.
"It's a box"
"Well open it,"
She tore at the ribbon, gently lifting the lid, and inside she found a small necklace with a black thread to hold the gleaming charm, a dragonfly with a small emerald gem as the head. Were emeralds the only thing their blacksmith had in their possession. Either that or the men in Rumcofa must really like the color green. It was beautiful nonetheless.

"Where'd you get the silver to buy this?"
"Do not worry about that. Besides, I got something for myself as well," Hidden from his shirt he untucked the twinning necklace that hung around his neck, identical to her own. It gave her pride to own something they both shared, something physical that could connect them, an object she can tie to him.
"I adore it," Once more she was tucked in his arms, "Thank you, I will not forget it, princeling,"

"I will see you again, you are aware of that," Aethelstan teased, earning him a slight shove.

A silence fell upon them both, a silence that held words trapped in air. They were doing it again, communicating simply just through their looks and simple gazes. It frustrated her that Athelstan would be able to spent his times with her father and men, that it would be him that possess the privilege of learning more from them. She knew that his meant he'd be a better swordsman and possibly a better warrior, though she was compliant, well aware that by following her fathers wishes, would win her his favor and respect. That she would prove to be not to be one of his stubborn children.

Klara met Aethelstan's eyes again, the words slipping before she could catch them on her tongue.

"Stay with me Aethelstan,"

━━༺❀༻━━

"Your the one not ready," Finan's all knowing, arsely voice echoed in Uhtred's head. He'd raised Aethelstan like a son, had promised to keep him safe. It was not because he wasn't ready, he simply did not want to return him to the king dead- was what he tried to convince himself.
He'd already lost his own children to adulthood, his daughter in Eoforwic grows a stronger and fiercer warrior from what he hears. Uhtred did in fact, not want to let Aethelstan go.

The boy had grown to be a young man, with skill. Dedicated to his training and passionate about defending their lands. The image of what he thought his own heir would be like. He would not trade his own son, but he had been robbed of raising Young Uhtred (Oswald) and had attempted to make up for it with Stiorra. Each day he cursed himself for his strong willed children, who sought out more than a simple life. Uhtred wondered what would be of Klara.