"I was hoping to convince you to remove your advisors. I'm sure they have reported back positively." Viktor replied smugly.

"I believe that the princess has already answered that question," Onyx surprised everyone by speaking up, "She shouldn't have to repeat herself."

Onyx could see the not-so subtle digs that Viktor was making against his honor. He was implying that Lili shouldn't stoop so low as to accept a servant as a mate. He had clearly come here to test the waters himself, to see if he could wiggle his way between the new mates.

"I apologize, Lord Bell," Viktor spit his title, "I don't recall the princess answering such a question."

"She said that the village couldn't possibly be changed in a day. Your request comes too early." Onyx said,

Viktor looked at Lili who was smiling smugly. She was happy to have someone else speaking on her behalf and to have it be words that she actually agreed with. She was used to doing all the work on her own, being on both the offense and the defense of these sorts of conversations. She wasn't sure what it would be like to be a mate, but she didn't expect to have a man who spoke up for her without request.

"I understand." Viktor said between his teeth.

"Yes, I think a month will do as a trial period. At the end, I will revisit the village and make my own assessments." Lili said,

Viktor looked positively pissed.

"Yes, your highness." He grumbled.

"Thank you for your visit, Lord Judge. Safe trials back home." Princess Lili said, standing from her chair.

Onyx and Viktor quickly stood as well, and Viktor bowed his head; even he was smart enough to know when he was being dismissed.

"Thank you, your grace, Lord Bell." He nodded at them both and then excused himself from the room.

"That guy is a tool." Onyx sighed in frustration.

"No kidding." Lili mumbled, "Thanks for the back up." She added, glancing at him shyly.

"Isn't that my job?" Onyx smirked, cocking his eyebrow at her.

"Your job description is a bit blurry." Lili said, raising a laugh from Onyx.

"Not to me, Lili. My job as your mate is very clear." He said her name and stepped around the chair to move closer to her.

"I think that you think this job is much easier than it really is." Lili sighed.

Onyx chuckled again and ran his hands up her arms, gripping her forearm and pulling her closer to him. She didn't resist his touch, allowing her chest to brush up against his.

"Oh, my princess, I certainly know how difficult the job is. But, I also know how much it's worth all the challenges." He assured her, leaning down to brush his nose against her cheek.

She blushed at his affection, not sure how to react. Her eyes fluttered closed but when they opened, she noticed the two guards still inside the office, shifting uncomfortably by the door.

"There is no danger in here," She snapped, causing Onyx to pull back in confusion, "You can wait outside."

Onyx smiled crookedly when he realized she was speaking to the guards, who scurried out of the office.

"No danger, huh?" He teased, winking at Lili.

"I can handle myself." Lili said stubbornly and then suddenly the wind picked up inside the office.

A cool breeze snapped across Onyx's face and whirled between them. His face grew serious as he tightened his hold on Lili.

"You don't have to when I'm here." He promised her, "And you can't make me release you."

His hold turned possessive as his arms wrapped around her back. He crushed her warm body against his, his grip stern but comfortable as she relaxed against into arms.

"You say things that you shouldn't." Lili said in a small voice.

"Why shouldn't I say them?" Onyx asked, his lips against her ear.

"They are too bold." She shivered.

"Not when spoken to the woman I'm mated to." He whispered.

"Onyx," She said his name and was interrupted before she could say more.

A deep sound rose from his throat as he moved away from her ear to look into her eyes. He cupped her face in between both of his hands and his dark eyes bored into hers. Something unrecognizable swirled in those eyes, making the rest of Lili's words catch in her throat.

"You're so beautiful." He whispered, rubbing the palm of his thumb across her cheek.

Lili swallowed, unable to speak.

"I'm a lucky man to belong to you." He said,

"You belong to me?" Lili asked in a quiet voice.

He chuckled at her shocked expression,

"Completely."

It was typical for a mate to be possessive and to claim ownership, but for a man to openly give himself up to his female mate was something Lili hadn't expected. She thought he would try to own her, she never imagined he would give himself away to her.

She might have to rethink this whole matebond thing.