THREE: (You Are) Electrocute

Start from the beginning

While he was knocking the millionth nail into the wall, you decided that putting on some music and chatting about whatever would help you know your fellow handyman better. He seemed pretty work oriented. It was like he always had to keep his hands busy or his mind would catch up to him.

''How do you like Brooklyn so far? How's the new job?'' He'd ask you while fixing the electrical wires that poked out from the outlets. His gaze would flicker between you and the task at hand occasionally.

''Brooklyn has been pretty great. I'm no longer getting lost or holding maps upside down.'' You chuckle and continue. ''The job is alright. Right now though, I'm having a bit of trouble getting into the groove of things at this new place. City folk are pretty fast but it doesn't take much to figure that out.''

It was true that you were lagging some. With all the new shifts in your life, there was so much to get used to.

''Where are you from? Must be from somewhere up North, right?''

''Minnesota, yeah.'' You reply and you see him screw in the last paneling over the outlet. He rises from off the ground and dusts his hands off.

''Well, that should take care of your electrical stuff. Won't have to hear you getting burnt into a crisp.'' He chuckles and you feel grateful. No longer would you have to worry about the unfortunate event of shocking yourself while crimping your hair or some odd power outage.

''Absolutely. Thank you for that.'' You follow him into the living room and he starts putting his tools back into the box. It was growing late into the evening and you decided maybe a little outing wouldn't be so bad.

''Would you want to grab a bite to eat, get some fresh air?'' You ask, feeling almost a bit too bold for yourself. The query makes him pause momentarily and you visibly see him weigh his options. The toolbox snaps shut and he turns to you, smiling.

"I'd like that."

The two of you venture out into Brooklyn. The cool air is refreshing and he cuts his long strides in half to walk alongside you. You kept your camera at home, deciding that a little break from the strap around your shoulder would be good. Peter slips himself in that leather jacket you're accustomed to seeing. 

"I actually know this little place. We can grab an ice cream. Sound good to you?" He asks you and you nod.

"Sure. You a big ice cream fan?" You queried.

"Yeah, I suppose." Peter shrugs and there's a little glint in his eye as if he'd remember something. "Instead of a cake for my birthday, my mother would get me these banana splits. Glob a huge mountain of ice cream between them, hot fudge and peanuts.'' He recalls such memories and you find it really endearing. 

"That's cute. Does your mom still do that kind of thing or was it when you were just little?''

The question makes the heat rush to his face. The warm hue sprawls on his cheeks, eyes darting between you and ahead. His body language shows light embarrassment as he nods. You wonder what strikes such a little reaction out of him. Maybe he was just worried that he would be made fun of?

''Ah, she still does. My sisters usually pitch in too. I mean, how could I say no? It's good ice cream.'' He grins and you laugh. You can't help but agree to that. 

"Can't go wrong with it. Especially if it's some sort of tradition.'' You add and he hums, looking more relaxed as he feels that silly chagrin melt away. 

The man beside you really was some sort of enigma. You couldn't quite put your finger on it yet, however, he had this distant look in his eyes. He seemed to take some sort of refuge in his mind and the thought of him really made you do the same. It puzzled you even more so how this soft eyed behemoth had shown such great kindness already in the mere beginning of this odd friendship. The curiosity within is slowly growing and within that curiosity, you realized you were outright ogling him. He catches you in the act as you swam deeply in your inner monologue. Peter snickers.