The Blood inside you is the Blood inside me Part 26

Começar do início

Aro called from the bathroom. "You were in charge in my absence, Charlotte. Did something happen?"

"Nothing here, but Carlisle heard from a different contact while you were gone. We really need to get some contacts of our own, Aro."

Leaving the bathroom, now free of the filth of traveling, Aro saw the worry in Charlotte's eyes

Leaving the bathroom, now free of the filth of traveling, Aro saw the worry in Charlotte's eyes. He sat beside her on the bed, kissing her neck. "What is it, cara? What did Carlisle have to say?" Tucking a loose lock of hair behind her ear, he placed his hand on her back reassuringly.

"Another coven was attacked," she said plainly.

"In Turkey? It cannot be." Aro's brows furrowed. "Enough is enough!"

"No, this coven was in China, Beijing Province. Carlisle is beginning to feel this is not because of any grudge, Aro." To prevent her mate from turning around and leaving again, she continued, "Aro, he said there's no need to go there. It's the same MO, modus operandi that is. Everyone was incapacitated and herded outside, then somehow destroyed at the same time. There were no signs of a fight or that anyone tried to flee. Then their home was destroyed, as if the attackers were rubbing salt in the wound. What reason would anyone have to destroy a coven's home when the members had already been wiped out? Anyway, he said there were no survivors this time."

"Speaking of which, my dear, I've brought the lone survivor back to Volterra as our guest." Aro knew another guest would only please Charlotte. "Now wait, if there were no survivors, how did anyone know of the attack?"

"That coven had humans who worked for them, helping them when needed, as we do here," Charlotte explained. "They have since completely eradicated every sign that anything was ever there, so the local authorities will have nothing to question."

"I'll send Felix and Santiago to China to take care of the humans," Aro stated dispassionately. "I know how you feel, my dear. I am sorry."

"Aro, must they be killed?" Charlotte still felt ties to humans, and these had served the vampire coven, probably for many years. Now, because of their knowledge, they had to be eliminated. She knew it was necessary, but hated it all the same. "Never mind, I understand, Aro." She leaned against him, feeling comfort in his embrace.

"Two covens in less than a week. Will we be targeted next? Is this the start of a coven war? With the Volturi so vilified in our world, perhaps another coven is using the opportunity to take over." Aro couldn't justify these attacks except that his coven was seen as weak. He had to stop the killing now. But where to begin.

Charlotte spoke up. "If another coven wants to take over, it will put the Volturi at risk from attack at any time. Carlisle told me he's working on increasing security for his family, and suggests we do the same."

Who would dare think they could defeat the Volturi, and by removing other covens. Was this the last attack, or would there be more to come? Aro gave Charlotte the brush of a kiss and began to pace the bedroom floor.