I'm Not Depressed?

Start from the beginning

Bobby closed the bathroom door and turned to face his disheveled unofficial son. "If I leave you alone in here, are you actually going to shower? Or are you just going to lay down in the water?"

"The second one." He sighed honestly.

"I was afraid of that. Come on, get in the shower." He pushed him towards the shower. Buck got in the shower and closed the curtain before tossing his dirty clothes over the curtain and turning on the water.

"I'm staying right here. Wash up, I better smell soap soon." Bobby tossed the dirty clothes out into the overfilled hamper before sitting on the closed toilet seat lid.

Buck begrudgingly washed himself before turning off the water and reaching for his towel. He wrapped it around his waist before stepping out. "Happy?"

"Hey, you smell better now." Bobby teased lightly. "Brush your teeth." He instructed, gesturing towards his toothbrush.

Buck sighed before doing as he was told. He couldn't get himself to do these things alone but somehow they were easier when Bobby and Athena there walking him through it all.

As he brushed his teeth, Bobby ran a comb through his wet hair. Once Buck spit the toothpaste from his mouth, Bobby turned him around and began putting moisturizer on his face.

"Alright, look at you. All cleaned up." Bobby beamed proudly at him, as if this were somehow a large feat. "Let's find you some clean clothes." He led him out of the bathroom and back to his bedroom.

There, Athena had changed his sheets and made the bed, picked up the trash, clothes, and dishes that littered the floor, and sprayed air freshener throughout the room. She was already downstairs, working on the same tasks.

"Here we go, clean clothes." Bobby spoke as he pulled boxers, socks, shorts, and a hoodie from the dresser. "Get dressed, come downstairs." He left no room for argument before going downstairs.

Buck put the clothes on before trudging down the stairs to find Bobby and Athena in the kitchen.

"Look at our boy, all cleaned up now." Athena smiled, running a hand through his damp hair. "Did you eat today?"

Buck shook his head 'no.'

"Yesterday?" Bobby asked as he put a new garbage bag in the bin after emptying the trash.

"Yeah, peanut butter and takeout." He explained as Athena guided him to sit at the table.

"Okay you need some real food. Bobby?"

"I'm on it." Bobby assured them both, beginning to rummage through Buck's fridge for ingredients.

As Bobby cooked, Athena finished cleaning up and even tossed a load of laundry into the washer. Buck sat at the kitchen table as they moved about, zoning out and feeling guilty that they were here taking care of him at all.

"Here we go, a ham and cheese omelette and some grapes. I would've added some peppers or spinach to the omelette but you have no vegetables here, which can't be healthy." Bobby set a plate in front of him along with a glass of water. "Eat."

Buck looked at him gratefully before beginning to eat. Bobby and Athena sat across from him and exchanged looks before Athena started.

"What's been going on, Buckaroo? How long have you been depressed?" She asked as he picked at the eggs.

"But I-I'm not depressed?" His eyebrows furrowed, setting down his fork.

"Buddy, look around. You're withdrawn, isolating, have no energy, not much appetite." Bobby gestured towards the barely touched food. "That sounds like depression."

"Well I...I guess there is a family history just-... is that what's wrong? I'm depressed?" Buck made the connections for himself.

"It sure looks that way." Athena placed her hand over top of his.

"Oh." He deflated. Bobby saw him shrink and moved to sit next to him, wrapping his arm around his shoulders.

"But that's okay. It doesn't make you weak or a burden or defective. It happens, it's okay. We're right here to help you, there's therapists that can help and medication if you need. For right now, we aren't leaving your side." He kissed the top of his head. "Eat."

Buck leaned into Bobby's side before taking a few more bites. "I'm done."

Athena cleared his plate and Bobby led him to the living room couch.

"What should we watch?" Bobby asked, turning on the tv.

"Will you turn on The Lion King?" He sounded like a child, barely speaking above a whisper.

Bobby smiled at the request and started the movie as Athena joined them on the couch. Buck leaned into Bobby's side and Athena traced patterns on his arm as the three of them watched the cartoon.

Buck fell asleep soon and Bobby readjusted him so he was laying down with his head in his lap and his legs over Athena's lap.

"We aren't leaving his side until he sees a therapist." Athena decided softly with no room for argument.

"You're damn right we aren't." Bobby agreed, carding his fingers through Buck's hair.