Ch. 2: When Handcuffs Walk

Start from the beginning

"You've been talking about that research article nonstop for almost two months," she pointed out in an overly patient tone. "Even I learn something after hearing it fifty times, regardless of how much I might not want to. Although whether or not I'll apply that knowledge is up for debate."

I snorted, wishing the Strongholds would have retained their zombie wariness after several years instead of becoming desensitized to their presence. And they would have certainly heard the warnings more than fifty times.

Unaware of my pessimistic thoughts, Jess teased Nicky, "You could become a new research assistant at this rate."

"Ha! I'd love an excuse to play with chemicals!"

"No, you aren't turning my lab into a playground," Nina told her sternly, putting flight to that terrible idea.

"True... Trinity would probably disown me if I broke something down here."

"Is she back yet? I thought I heard her voice a few minutes ago."

"Oh, yeah," Nicky said, leaning back into the hallway. "She's coming. She's just taking her sweet time darkening your door."

I glowered at the grinning redhead, although I already knew Nina wasn't after a blood or saliva sample. It had been months since she last asked for those, and over a year since she focused on zombie triggers. There were still six rooms along the main hallways for such research or to produce the cure, vaccine, controlex, and sanity serum, but they didn't see much use nowadays.

"Come on," Nicky told me. "We're growing older over here. I know you can move fast when you want to because I never catch you on my rampages."

I continued plodding closer. "You never see me during most of your wildcat moments."

"Perhaps, but that just proves you can move faster than me."

Nina patiently said, "Nicky, please move out of the doorway so she can come in. If you really have that much energy, I can ask Luke if he can convert one of the water paddle generators into a giant hamster wheel for you to run on."

"I think I'll pass. That sounds too much like work. It might produce some electricity, but I think keeping Ironwind's residents in shape is a better idea," Nicky replied, backing into the room just enough for me to stand in the doorway.

A glint of silver near her belt caught my attention. The dark brown belt pouch was easy to overlook, though clearly not Nicky's style, and had likely been "borrowed", along with the handcuffs inside it.

"You and Trinity seem oddly fixated on that today," Jess said, frowning in concern, not noticing me liberating another set of handcuffs since Nicky's body blocked her view of my hand.

"Fixated on what?" Nina asked as another set of handcuffs exchanged pockets.

"They seem to think we need more zombie drills."

None of them noticed the third set of handcuffs slip soundlessly into my pocket in a fashion only Nightstalkers could manage. Light continued to glint off metal in the stolen belt pouch. How many more sets did she have?

"Hmmm... Well, it has been a long time since we had one," Nina said. "Now that I think about it, I haven't climbed any of the escape routes in over a year."

"I dare you to use the one behind the kitchen," Nicky said, somehow maintaining a straight face even though that steel ladder had been removed months ago when they replaced the siding. She was so focused on Nina's expression that she didn't notice me purloining another set of handcuffs. One of Nina's small, blank notebooks was added to the belt pouch to keep the weight change from alerting her.