"Kildare, when? John B! no, no, no. John B!" Sarah looked at the phone as the line cut off.

"Kildare. what the hell?" the blonde turned to her friends.

"you guys think he found his father?" Cleo looked over at Pope.

"he's been missing for almost a year." he tells the girl.

"Sarah, what do you think? should we go back?" Kie asked her friend.

"Sarah- we're sitting ducks right now so we need to make a decision. are we turning back around, or are we gonna keep going? Sarah, come on! Sarah, we need to make a decision!" JJ kept his eyes on Sarah waiting for an answer.

"he said go." Sarah raised her voice.

"hold on, listen."

"go!"

__

Caroline sat with Pope catching up on what was going on the day before. she told him about how Kiara pushed Rafe off the boat as they laughed, Cleo and Sarah joined their friends talking and catching up with each other and watching the sunset.

"y'all should tell Kie and JJ we need to stop for some food and gas soon." Sarah laughed smiling at her friends.

"yes ma'am." Caroline jumped up followed by Pope.

"off we go." Pope lead the way making Caroline laugh walking up the stairs.

Caroline's smile faded once seeing JJ and Kiara close to each other, faces inches away from each other.

"hey." Pope said making the two turn around, "just wanted to let you guys know we should probably stop for gas."

"and some food." Caroline muttered going back down the stairs.

"baby, wait-"

Caroline walked to the bow sitting down, pulling her legs up to her chest and her chin on her knee. she sat there the entire time watching the sunset until it got dark and everyone hung out on the other side of the boat.

hours passed and Caroline still hadn't moved from her spot, she didn't know what to think after what she saw. so many thoughts were racing through her head but she continued to shake it off not wanting to think about it all.

"Ace?" Kie's voice was heard, Caroline turned her head seeing the curly haired girl.

"hey." Caroline answered turning back around looking at the water which couldn't even be seen anymore.

"nothing happened. i promise you, i'll never do that to you." Kiara walked over to her friend sitting besides her.

"i know. i just- seeing you two like that made me remember something." Caroline rested her chin on her knee.

"what?" Kie asked linking her arm with Caroline's resting her head on her shoulder.

"remember when we first met JJ did everything to try and go out with you?" Caroline asked making Kie laugh.

"how could i not? he kept flirting every two seconds we were hanging out. but then again he would flirt with everyone." Kie says lifting her head looking at her friend, she poked Caroline's cheek as she looked at Kiara, "but what i do know is that he would never ever do anything to hurt you. he loves you so much, Ace. i've never seen him look at anybody the way he looks at you."

Caroline's heart warmed up as she smiled, "i love you and i would never do anything to hurt you. you two belong together." Kie softly tells her friend.

"i love you too." Caroline smiled at Kie, the curly haired girl smiled hugging her tightly.

"can i interrupt?" the two turned around seeing JJ with his hands in his pockets.

"floor is yours. i'm gonna check on Sarah." Kie stood up kissing the top of Caroline's head, "i'll see you in a bit."

Caroline nodded watching her friend walk away as JJ made his way over to her sitting down besides her.

"it's okay if your pissed at me. i would be pissed at myself too well i am but if your pissed i get it." he says looking at her.

"i'm not." Caroline shook her head reaching for his hand.

JJ faced her taking her hands interlocking their fingers together, he raised her hands to his lips giving them a small peck.

"i'm sorry." he says.

JJ couldn't take his eyes off her, yeah he used to flirt with every girl even Kiara but when Caroline and JJ started flirting with each other she always thought JJ was messing around until they got more serious. the entire summer played through her head. finding the boat, running from being chased from security guards, midsummers, the days they only had each other when John B was missing.

Caroline loved him. every single day she fell more in love with him.

__

"welcome to the Outer Banks, Cleo." Pope introduced his home as the five walked on the dock after dropping Sarah off at the chateau.

"you're crazy, Pope. your parents are not going to appreciate me shaking up." Cleo tells the boy.

"of course they will. are you kidding? Heyward might put you to work but we could always use the help." Pope assures her.

"i don't know, man. you sure?"

"yeah, look, he might squawk a little bit, but let me talk to him. we'll figure it out." Pope rested his hand on her shoulder.

"Mrs. Heyward will be happy you're both safe she loves everyone." Caroline adds making Pope nod.

the five walked towards Figure Eight dropping Kie off first since her house was the closest.

"this is me. home sweet home." she says opening the gate to her house with her friends following behind.

"damn, Kiara. you live here? this is like the White House, man." Cleo awed seeing the house.

"how bad do you think it's gonna be?" Caroline asked her friend knowing she was worried about coming back home.

"scale of one to ten? twenty." Kie turned around.

"do you want us to hold up here?" Cleo asked.

"no, i.. i gotta take this. thanks for walking me." Kie started walking up the steps looking at Caroline, "update me?"

Caroline nodded leaning against the railing watching her friend, "good luck."

Kiara sent the brunette a small smile walking closer to her door, the four then made their way to Caroline's in silence.