"You're really stitching yourself up?" he asked her as he made his way to her.
"I'm the only one who can do it, apparently."
"Not the only one," he said as he sat onto the chair and took the needle from her hands. "Let me help you, your hands are already shaking."

Chun-Ho finished the rest of the stitches faster than she could with her shaky hands and then put a bandage over her wound. She then closed her eyes, trying to diminish the throbbing in her head.

"Are you part of the military?" he asked her. She opened her eyes and found him looking at her.
"No."
"Then how do you know how to use a gun?"
"My dad." She wasn't going to give him more information than necessary, she always likes keeping private things private. But surprisingly enough, he didn't ask for more details.
"You should come and eat something," he said as he sat up. She almost forgot how hungry she was, but now that he mentioned it, she started wondering if the pain in her abdomen was from the emptiness of her stomach too. She groaned as she got up from the bed, her vision blurry, almost falling. But she managed to take a step and follow Chun-Ho through the empty hallways of the school. They reached a dark room with a few stags inside and many papers spread over the whole table. She took a seat as Chun-Ho placed a casserole in front of her.
"Thank you," she murmured and then started eating. She forgot how good warm food was. She wanted to ask him if he wanted any, but her words were cut of short by a knock. She lifted her head as she saw Yu-Jung and another boy enter.
"Come," Chun-Ho said and they took a seat at the table. Yu-Jung handed him a paper. Chae-Yeong managed to take a peek. 'Petition' was written in big letters on the top of the page.
"The whole class agreed on this. We all want to go home." Chun-Ho looked at the paper and then back at them again. He stayed silent for a few moments, looking for something to say.
"It was just one. Just one sphere killed hundreds of soldiers. The area is now crawling with spheres, so how do you expect to go home?"
"It's true," Chae-Yeong said as she finished chewing the food in her mouth. The three of them looked at her expecting to say more. "I've been out there for a few days, I was with a few... friends." She gulped. "A few days ago, a sphere collapsed and fragmented. That's why I was alone and out of ammo out there. I was the only one left." She took a deep breath. She knew when she looked at the students' faces that they were pitying her, so she decided to continue before they could say something. "We've been looking for a refuge, but it is no easy thing to get through these streets, there are too many spheres. And it's a big disadvantage that you freeze when facing them."
"Even if you do go home, your parents won't be there."
"What?"
"They've been sent to the refuge. For their safety."
"You're lying, aren't you?" the boy asked.
"He's not," Chae-Yeong said.
"Can't you take us to the refuge as well?"
"You are current soldiers of the military and we are at war." Great job, you're great with kids, Chae-Yeong thought to herself. "You may not leave as you please." He took the petition in his hand and crumpled it up. "So don't get any ideas and prepare for training." He then got up and left the room.
"Training?" asked Chae-Yeong to fill the silence left behind.
"Learning how to shoot, building stamina," Yu-Jung said, clearly discouraged.
"Doesn't sound so bad for me."
"We are students, not soldiers," the boy said with an angry voice. "Don't pretend you know what it is like to live here and be tortured like that." Is he kidding me? "Let's go, Yu-Jung." They got up and left Chae-Yeong alone.

Were they out of their minds? They preferred going outside than staying here, protected by the military with warm food in front of them? They were really stupid if they thought going outside was a better option. They saw how it is there a few hours ago and it still meant nothing to them. Many died, she was sure of that, she could see it on their faces. And it was still not enough for them.

She finished her meal and got up, grunting as she put her hand on the wound. If it won't get infected or her stitches wouldn't come out, she should be good in a few days. She just needed to get a little rest. She looked around the school for a little bit and when she found no one, she stepped outside. It was already dark, she didn't know how much time passed since she was brought here, but it must have been only a few hours. She heard yelling in the courtyard. She made her way there and found the source of the noise. A military track. The students, some which she recognized, were limping as they were running to complete it. She made her way to Chun-Ho as he stopped yelling at them, only to observe a figure clinging to his hand, sobbing as she fell to her knees. Chae-Yeong waited until she disappeared, probably going to rest, because she was in no shape to continue, before she approached him. Chun-Ho looked at her, but he said nothing as they both watched over the students.