Chapter 18

The children burst through the door as soon as I release the lock the next morning.

Florence wraps her arms around my legs, while Katie and the twins peer curiously round the bakery.

John leans an arm above his head against the doorway. "No destroying anything," he calls out to them.

"Why's there no food?" William asks, scrunching up his face.

"Because we haven't put it out yet," I tell him. "I'm hoping you can help me. But you'll have to be very, very strong to carry all the bread."

He puffs his little chest out, and his brother follows suit. "I'm stronger," says George.

"No you ain't," says William.

"If they're any trouble, just whack 'em round the head," John says.

Florence glances up at me with wide eyes.

"There'll be no need," I laugh, stroking Florence's hair. "I'm sure they'll be fine. What time should I walk them home?"

"I should be back by half six, but Pol will be at home anyway," John says.

"Another needless journey to seal the books?" I ask.

He winks. The line of his jaw catches my attention as he tilts his head and speaks. "Right lads, be good for Miss March. Katie, Florence, that goes for you too. If I find out you've misbehaved, you'll be eating tripe for a week." He turns his attention to me. "I fucking owe you one, you know."

"Go on," I tell him. "Enjoy your day at work."

He rummages in his pocket. "Before I forget." He presses two shillings into my palm.

"We only agreed one," I say.

"Yeah, but just in case they want any bakery food or something after school."

"Fairy cakes?" Florence gasps, pressing her hands together and pleading.

I laugh. "You can help my Mama make them, and then you'll get first pick." I lead her into the bakery. "See you later," I tell John.

"You're an angel, March," he says, before turning back to the Birmingham streets.

When I take Florence by the hand and lead her back to the kitchen, I find Mama's already set the twins up at a spare counter. She's coated the surface in flour and they're drawing shapes and letters into the flour, mesmerised. Katie's swinging her legs from a stool, drinking orange juice and chatting about her time at the museum with Polly.

"And you must be Florence," Mama smiles, bending down to greet the youngest Shelby. "I hear you like the fairy cakes. Is that true?"

Florence nods, her eyes lighting up.

"You can help me make them while Miss March walks your brothers and sister to school," Mama says, wrapping an arm around Florence's shoulders and showing her to the cakes.

"John said they usually walk themselves," I say.

But Mother shakes her head. "When you're getting paid a shilling a day, you're walking them to school," she tells me sternly.

"Alright," I say. "Are you guys ready?"

Katie grabs her lunchbox and stands at attention. "Let's go," she says seriously.

We head through the streets, the boys racing ahead and jumping over cracks in the pavement. The rain has held off for the morning, but the skies are grey.

"I have something for you," I tell Katie, showing her the midnight blue ribbon that had cost me a victoria sponge at the general shop.

"Wow, it's perfect!" She says, taking it from my hands. "Can you help me tie it in my hair?" She asks.