"Oh, yeah? And what excuse will you make for your girlfriend this time? I can imagine there have been some real doozies in the last two months."

"I tell everyone the same thing - that you're in New York, settling up your life so you can move out here with me."

Debbie stopped and turned to her. "We have to stop this charade, Lou. What good does it do anyone to keep living this lie?"

"I know." Lou folded her arms and looked at the floor. "Can you give me another week? I just need to figure out how to tell the world that I managed to fuck up the best thing I've ever had."

The door opened and a production assistant waved them into the room. "We're ready to go, ladies. Welcome to season seven!"

Debbie didn't share the woman's excitement. Yes, she was so happy to have a job, but she was seriously concerned about their on-screen chemistry. Everything was riding on it still being there. She gestured with her hand to Lou. "After you."

***

"Okay, scene five," one of the writers said. "Just a refresher on where we left the Jordan slash Jane arc last season - Jordan told Jane it was over! Oh no!" he joked. "But Jordan went to Jane's apartment to apologize and who was there but Jane's supposedly ex-GF, wearing the watch Jane and Jordan had shopped for together. Leaving all of America wondering, what the hell would happen next. That brings us to scene five, ladies and gentleman. Jordan is waiting outside the courtroom for Jane. Jane walks out and..." He motioned for Debbie to continue.

Debbie found her spot in the script and cleared her throat. "I wondered when we'd casually run into each other and act like nothing happened."

Lou peeled her eyes from Debbie and looked at the script. "Casual? You think I just happened by today? In all the time we spent together, did I ever just happen by someplace?"

"I guess not. How are you?"

"Well, let's see. You left a resignation letter on my desk, took your old job with Hamilton & Nye, which makes my blood boil..."

"They're a good firm. The best in town...next to yours."

"Good save."

"I was really talking about your arm, anyway."

"I didn't come here to talk about my injuries - physical or otherwise."

"Why are you here, Jordan?"

"Because..." Lou looked up, her eyes finding Debbie's across the table.

One of the writers cleared his throat. "Is there a problem, Lou?"

"No. Sorry." Lou found her place in the script again. "Because I can't stop thinking about you, Jane. We have something special. And if another day goes by without me telling you what an amazing lover you are...or how much I appreciate what you did for me while I was healing..."

"Um..." John looked at the script. "Lou, it's lawyer, not lover." A few people at the table giggled.

"Right." Lou wanted to crawl under the table and disappear. "Lawyer. I'll just..." She glanced up at Debbie but her eyes were focused on the script. On any other day, Debbie would've been all over that, giving Lou provocative looks and teasing her relentlessly. Not today. Probably not ever again. Lou focused on the script again. "Let me just re-do that." She took a breath. "Because I can't stop thinking about you, Jane. We have something special. And if another day goes by without me telling you what an amazing lawyer you are, or how much I appreciate what you did for me while I was healing, well, that would make me truly unworthy of even being in your presence."