"Because it's not funny, Lin."

"Hey." Linus reached out and squeezed her shoulder. "Whatever happens with her, we'll deal with the fallout. No one blames you anymore."

"There won't be any fallout. I'm doing what has to be done. I was going to contact you anyway so I could get the name of the lawyer who wrote up the original contract."

The worry lines in Linus's forehead deepened. "Oh, god. Is she blackmailing you?"

"No." Debbie shook her head. "I'm going to use the money Lou gave me to pay off Tammy's student loans. In exchange, she'll sign whatever kind of gag order I need her to sign."

"So, she is blackmailing you." Linus wasn't so sure about this little plan.

"It was my idea, not hers. She just wanted me, and that's not going to happen."

"And she agreed? Just like that?"

Debbie's gaze fell. She found a spot of peeling paint on the railing and picked at it. "Just like that." She took a breath and looked at Linus. "She has a lot of growing up to do, but I have no doubt she'll make a difference in this world one day. I'm fine with it."

Words. Those were just words. Linus could see in Debbie's eyes how hurt she was. He considered it for a moment and then said, "Let me handle the contract. I'd rather you didn't ever see her again. In fact, I'll put that in the deal as well. No contact. Period."

Debbie gave him a nod. "Thank you, Linus. I'll tell her to expect your call." She turned and leaned against the balcony with her arms folded. "So, you want me to show up and surprise Lou on Falcon? What does that get us?"

"Lots of airtime. Especially, if you kiss her. And ratings for the show, which are great by the way."

Debbie lowered her gaze and furrowed her brow, looking worried. "I haven't answered Lou's texts."

"She's aware."

"I don't have anything to wear. All those nice clothes Rose picked out for me are in California."

Linus opened the door. "Let's go inside." He set his empty beer bottle down and unzipped the garment bag. "I went to see Rose before I left." He pulled a beautiful, and rather short, maroon dress out of the bag. He held it up with a pair of black strappy heels. "You'll knock everyone off their chair wearing this."

Debbie put a hand on her hair, smoothing it down. I'll need help with..."

"Just say the word and I'll have hair and makeup here in half an hour." He checked his watch. They didn't have a lot of time.

Debbie ran her fingers over the dress. "It'll be good for the show."

Linus grinned and then cleared his throat. "Yes. Right. Good for the show."

"And you swear this isn't a setup? Lou knows nothing about this?"

He put up his hands. "I swear. It'll be a total surprise. And Debbie, I'm still your publicist."

Debbie smirked. "Gee, I thought you dumped me."

"Let's just say Lou and I were both a bit hasty."

Debbie rolled her eyes. "Hasty? God, Linus. You both threw me out on my ass. I still have the bruises."

They didn't have time to re-hash the past. He'd apologize profusely later. He tapped his watch. "We're on the clock, here."

Debbie threw her hands up. "Okay. Let's do it."

He pulled out his phone, tapped a button and put it to his ear. "It's a go."

***

Linus opened the door, letting Amita into the green room. She screamed and jumped up and down when she saw Debbie . "Shhh." Linus said, giggling.