"Doesn't matter, still a great show," says Torin, her elbow bumping into Peter's side again.

"W-well," Peter starts up again, eyes on his friend. "D-do...do you have a crush on them?"

Torin looks at Peter, surprised, then glances at everyone else. "They are cute," she admits. She quickly adds, "But I just like the show! I like the characters." Torin hasn't ever really been the type to fan over boys. She has always held back on secret crushes because she knows they won't come true. Besides, Torin is nothing compared to Mary-Jane.

Harry snorts out a laugh. "Torin kisses the poster on her wall at night."

Torin rolls her eyes, digging out the throw pillow from her back. She throws it at Harry, who jumps aside easily. "I don't have a Supernatural poster on my wall."

Ned stretches on the white rug, turning off the TV as commercials roll across the large, silver flat screen. He pushes his watch up his tan skin. "We gotta go. It's almost four-fifteen."

Mary-Jane stands, fixing her skirt and tights. She smiles sweetly at Harry. "Thanks for having us over, Harry. See you tomorrow!"

Harry grins at Mary-Jane, nodding slowly. "Somebody else's house next time? I'm tired of staying here all the time."

"Sure," says Torin, sending a look to Peter to get off the armchair. He rises from his seat and Torin hops up. "We can have it at my house, but Joey might want to join," she says sheepishly.

"Mom's here!" calls Ned from the foyer. "C'mon guys!"

"Bye, Harry. Thanks again!" the three of them call, hurrying to grab their coats and shoes. Harry waves to them from the front door and watches them leave. Torin settles into the car, securing her seatbelt across her lap. She looks at her friends, making sure they all have their seatbelts on. She shudders a little as Mrs. Leeds pulls away from the driveway.

Peter looks at Torin, sensing her unease. He squeezes her hand for a moment, then as if something made him have other thoughts, he lets go, turning to face the road ahead.

Torin hates car rides.

<>

For months now, all Peter has been wanting to do is be out of the apartment building. He likes walking the streets, looking for something to do. He'll usually drag Torin along. She's another set of eyes that can help him find things to build from. Torin and Peter don't have the luxury of new things like Harry does, or even Ned. Torin saves almost every dollar she has for college, and Peter thrifts everything he can.

Today, in late October, Peter is ready to escape the apartment again. He and Torin have just finished their English assignment. He's already dragging her toward the front door before his uncle, Ben, stops him. The man is sitting at the kitchen table, reading the newspaper and sipping on tea. May is out, working. Today is her day to work late.

"Where are you two off to?"

"Going out," Peter answers. Usually they're never stopped. Their guardians have always been reasonable.

"This late?"

Holding up his watch to check the time, Peter frowns. He adjusts his glasses. "It's only eight."

"It's nearly dark, Pete."

Uncomfortable, Torin shifts on her feet. "It is getting late..." she admits.

"We're not little kids anymore," Peter says defiantly. He throws a look at his uncle. "We have phones. We'll call you if—"

The newspaper that Ben is reading gets discarded. He gives his full attention to the young teens. "Listen, Pete, Torin, this city is a wonderful place, but it's also a dangerous place. Especially at night..."