Chapter Forty Seven: Our Prologue (8)

Mulai dari awal

Chloe realized that she was dancing with Gerard's shell. It was sorrowful. The feelings that hadn't even been nurtured didn't have the chance to bloom.

It was a good thing. It would be less hurt to give up before her feelings grew deeper.

***

"Sir, please have one of these."

Chloe handed a drink to Gerard, who still hadn't come out of his trance after the dance was over.

"No, thank you."

Gerard glanced at Chloe and immediately refused. Chloe was embarrassed and tightened her grasp on the glass, only to put it down again.

"You're not fine. You must have been thirsty since earlier."

Chloe opposed his words. It was a high socialite's expression for saying that he needed to keep an eye on his expression because it was currently a mess.

"Oh."

Gerard wiped his face after Chloe said so.

"Is it obvious?"

"Yes. I don't know what you're going to say, but I'm a little scared."

"Oh..."

Chloe came closer to Gerard and whispered.

"You can't do anything at the moment, can you? Or are you going to drag Leila forcefully with you?"

"No, it's..."

"I know, don't bother about it too much because you can't do anything about it now."

"...Yes."

As she said, there was nothing he could do now.

"Thank you."

He thought it was a good thing he asked the youngest Lady of Roem to be his partner. There was no one who could give him advice like this.

Gerard reluctantly pulled the corners of his lips up after taking the drink from Chloe. After trying to pretend to be fine, his impatiently pounding heart seemed to gradually subside.

However, he found out within a few minutes that it was all a ruse.

When Leila and Frederick disappeared from his sight, the relaxed feeling in his chest disappeared in an instant like a morning fog. Gerard and Chloe's eyes met as they hurriedly scanned the banquet hall.

"..."

"..."

Gerard immediately wanted to set off to find them. However, he felt guilty leaving his partner by herself, so he couldn't open his lips to speak.

For Chloe, the conflict he was experiencing was clearly visible in his face. Therefore...

"Go ahead, my Lord. I'll be waiting for you."

Chloe sent Gerard off willingly.

***

"I thought so. The young Marquis of Blanchett... must have left the young Lady of Roem for the young Lady of Stein..."

"If the young Lady of Roem had common sense, she wouldn't have become the partner of Sir Blanchett."

"She must have feelings for him."

"It's been weird since the three of them started to hang out, but her ulterior motives have been revealed today. Do you think she was able to fit in with Sir Blanchett?"

"Hey, you don't have to be so mean, she's going to end up like those other young ladies anyway."

"Those other young ladies?"