Chapter Forty one: Our Prologue (2)

Start from the beginning

Leila's words seemed to be true. The roof looked untouched by human's hands for a long time. Grass and moss grew all over the place and there were large cracks.

"Hurry up! The fireworks show will begin soon."

Upon Leila's words, Gerard followed her to the roof. Chloe paced anxiously. There was a gap between the hill and the roof, and it looked quite big to her. She was sure to snap her ankle if she jumped the wrong way. Also, if her feet touched the roof, she felt as though she would slip because of the moss. Chloe grasped her skirt in fear, unable to do anything.

"Young Lady Roem, come and run. I'll catch you."

Then Gerard, who had crossed over earlier, spread his arms toward Chloe. He waited for Chloe to run to him with a genuine look on his face.

"Oh..."

Chloe looked between the gap and Gerard's face several times and clenched her eyes shut tightly. She kicked off the ground and leaped forward.

Chloe's feet were supposed to step in the air at that moment.

Meow.

A stray cat suddenly passed by very quickly.

Chloe opened her eyes, startled at the sudden sound. Her body shook.

"What?"

Chloe's unbalanced feet slipped, landing narrowly on the edge of the roof.

"Young Lady Roem!"

Gerard called Chloe in terror and grabbed her by the waist with firm arms. Chloe grasped Gerard's body tightly. Her chest and his abdomen made contact with each other, as well as her forehead and his chin.

"Phew..."

Chloe's warm breath sank over his ears and shoulders. He felt goosebumps forming all over his nape.

Due to their closeness, she was even able to smell Gerard's breath. It was a subtly cool smell mixed with soap and distinctive body odor.

"Oh, I... Sir. we're too close."

Chloe looked up at Gerard, unable to push him away with only her hands.

Gerard, who inadvertently met Chloe's eyes, immediately pushed himself away from her.

"Excuse me."

Gerard apologized politely. Chloe felt strange for a moment, but his behavior was very composed.

"Chloe, are you okay? I'm glad Gerard caught you. That was close!"

Leila said while grabbing Chloe's arms.

"Yes, I'm fine. Thank you, sir."

Chloe thought it was a good thing it was night. If it were day, her blushed face would have been revealed to him.

"It's no problem. It's a relief after all."

Gerard grinned and accepted her gratitude.

"Chloe, hold my hand so you don't slip again."

Leila held her friend's hand tightly because she was afraid Chloe would slip again.

"Here we are! What do you think? Isn't it nice?"

Leila asked while flopping herself down in a patch which was empty from moss.

Chloe hesitated again, contrary to Leila. She knew that a Lady shouldn't sit with nothing underneath. And for some reason... She didn't want to stain the cloth tied around her waist.

"Take a seat here, young Lady."

Gerard realized why Chloe was hesitant, so he laid a handkerchief on the ground beside Leila.