Chapter Forty. Our Prologue (1)

Start from the beginning

That concealed question drew them back to nine years ago.

***

Nine years ago, Chloe Roem and Gerard Blanchett met on a peaceful Tuesday afternoon.

"Hello, Gerard. I've talked about her a lot, haven't I? This is young Lady Chloe, the third daughter of the Roem Family."

After Leila saved Chloe in the alley, they became close in a short time. Leila finally invited Chloe for tea time with Gerard.

"Hello, I'm Chloe Roem. May peace always be with you in the arms of the Empire."

"I am Gerard Blanchett. May the young Lady also have peace in the arms of the Empire."

Both of them would've frowned if they were asked about their first impressions of each other.

Gerard spent his time enjoying tea time with Leila every Tuesday. There had never been a time when anyone interfered during it. Therefore, Chloe wasn't welcomed by him, having broken the unwritten rule.

Recently, he had been extremely sensitive. From Frederick Anata to Chloe Roem. He didn't like how strangers kept trying to stick by Leila's side. It was ridiculous how he even felt slightly jealous of Chloe at that time.

"Please take a seat, young Lady."

Gerard Blanchett bowed to Chloe after pulling out the chair for her like a gentleman, though his mind was full of vitriol.

'Those blue eyes... makes me uncomfortable.'

The eyes of the Roem family's third daughter were the same eyes his mother used to tell him about. To borrow his mother's expression, they seemed to embrace the brilliant sea. Even though there were various kinds of blue eyes, those eyes were exactly the ones he once saw in the portrait of his uncle. Those awful blue eyes. Gerard Blanchett was obviously not stupid enough to express his innermost thoughts. The more disgusted he was, the harder he tried to smile.

"Thank you for your kindness."

Chloe bowed slightly and sat on the chair Gerard had pulled out for her.

Her first impression of Gerard was very different from what she had expected. Gerard Blanchett, whom she saw and heard of from afar, was as perfect as a painting. In particular, he was impressive for never losing his composure under any circumstances.

However, when she looked at him closely, his smile somehow contained a sense of resentment. Should she say it was obvious that he didn't like her? Chloe, who was sensitive to people's emotions, vaguely guessed Gerard's innermost thoughts.

'Even so, what's the point of revealing it?'

They obviously didn't make a good first impression on each other.

***

Who would have guessed that Chloe and Gerard would start spending a lot of time together?

Leila liked Chloe, who didn't judge her due to the rumors about her. When she chatted with Chloe about trivial things, she felt like an ordinary Lady. Leila wanted to spend more time with Chloe.

Thanks to Leila, Chloe was accepted easily into their world. At one point, Chloe had become an official member of their Tuesday Tea Time.

"Oh? My Lord, you like Amone's paintings too?"

"Yes, I bought some of their works because I took a liking to them."

Chloe and Gerard communicated quite well despite their bad first impressions.

"The artist's painting style is so innovative that there are few people who like it, so it's nice to meet one of them."

"It's quite innovative, indeed. It may seem incomplete at first glance. However, the idea of capturing the light of the moment is interesting."