chapter fourteen

Cato's POV

I open my eyes only to realize that we're not in the arena anymore. This room is not very big. I look around to see Betee and Katniss lying there too. They're both still unconcious. When Katniss is lying next to me then I must be in district thirteen. No way they would've left her with Snow. She's the key to the rebellion after all. I slowly get up and feel my knees almost giving up under me. It takes a few steps until I can fully control my legs. I hear a few voices to my left. They're heavily discussing something. 
"They're not going to help us if they're not here" I hear Finnick say. 
I open the door to see Haymitch, Plutarch and Finnick standing there. Finnick looks even worse than in the arena.
"How long was I out?" I ask them.
"Two days" Haymitch then says.
"Where is she? Is the baby okay?" I ask them but none of them look at me. They all look awkwardly at their feet as I stand there. I see the look on their faces though. Regret, guilt and sadness. That's when it hits me.
"She's not here is she?" I ask, tears forming in my eyes. Haymitch shakes his head.
"She's at the Capitol" Plutarch says. I feel a few tears rolling down my face. 
"No, no, no. She's pregnant for fuck's sake! She's carying my child. We have to get her out of there" I shout angrily. 
"We know. We're thinking about a plan to get them" he says.
"Them?" I ask.
"Johanna, Peeta and Annie" Finnick says. The pain in his voice is hearable.
"What happens to them there?" I ask, but nobody answers. Answer enough to me. They're being tortured. Of course they are. 
"But she's pregnant. She would've had my child" I say, breaking down now. Finnick walks over and catches me just before my body hits the floor.
"I'm so sorry" Finnick says over and over again.
"But I need her" I tell him.
"I know. We'll figure out a way to get them back. I promise" he says.
"Finnick, that's not going to save them. They're never going to be the same again. Think of Peeta. He's married to the leader of the rebellion. They're going to get tortured there until he has no personality anymore. Until they finally break them" I shout.
"The baby was still alive when the lightning struck" Plutarch says.
"And you just left her there to die?" I shout. I want to punch him into his annoying face but Finnick and Haymitch hold me back.
"She wanted it like that" he says.
"What?" I ask in disbelief. "Why would she do that?"
"Because she wanted you to be safed. You're very important for this rebellion. The people look up to you four. Mostly to you and Katniss. After what happend at the last Games the people have risen. We need you two to keep that going" Plutarch says.
That's when I completely break down, the tears start streaming over my face, landing on the floor as sobs escape my mouth. I feel something being injected into my neck before everything goes black

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N

The book is finally finished now. The third and last book is going to be mostly from Cato's point of view but also a bit from Athena. I hope you're not mad at me for seperating them. I had to make the last book a little more interesting. See you in the next one.