(request) danielle › the danielle effect

Start from the beginning

"Yes, ma'am?" You muttered.

Your teacher sighed deeply due to the familiar attitude behind your words. "You've been called to the front office by a..." she looked down at the sticky note in her hand, and then back up at you. "Mrs. Marsh. So head on down there."

Your eyes widened. What in the actual hell is Danielle's mother doing at your school? How did she even know that you go here? You swear to god, if your parents ratted you out... How can you possibly face Danielle's mother after everything that happened. Mr. and Mrs. Marsh used to adore you when you and Danielle were together. How would they feel about you now, now that you have tattoos and you intimidate your fellow classmates?

With a hesitant look on your face, something the teacher was shocked to see, you turned on your heel and exited the classroom. For the entire walk to the front, you couldn't help but feel nervous. What could Mrs. Marsh possibly want to see me for?

When you reached the front office, you pushed the door open and were now face to face with Danielle's mother, who was previously having a friendly conversation with the lady behind the desk, Ms. Johnson. You waved at Ms. Johnson, since she's one of the only people you're on good terms with in this school, before turning to face Mrs. Marsh.

You were now in a nearby café, sitting directly across from Mrs. Marsh, who silently took sips of her coffee.

She suddenly spoke up. "She misses you, you know." She looked into your eyes. "I'm not telling you to forgive her, but... after the breakup, she's... she's just having a hard time right now, and nothing that I or her father do is working so- so I thought that I should try coming to you. You're our last option."

Your eyes widened. You hate to admit it, but you care. You care about her, and it hurts your heart to know that she's having a hard time because of what happened. While you're still angry about what she did to you and your seemingly strong relationship, you can't help but want to take care of her and make sure that she's alright. You're completely aware that she may use this opportunity to win you back. You know. And you're not going to deny that it might just work on you, but you don't want to think about that.

"Do my parents know? When do we leave?"

Walking through the airport was nostalgic for you. You remember walking through it to leave this place, and now you're suddenly back after a long year. Everything feels different to you.

You were startled when Mrs. Marsh suddenly took your bags from you and pointed in a different direction. So you looked where she was pointing.

You were met with Danielle leaning against her dad as they stood and looked around for you and Mrs. Marsh. She looked exhausted and weak, which broke your heart.

When Danielle's eyes found yours, they widened, as did yours. You were taken aback when she took off running towards you, but got over it and reluctantly opened your arms. When she reached you, she jumped and threw her arms around your neck as you caught her and held her closely. She wrapped her legs around your waist and hugged you just as tightly, as she cried.

You were startled when you felt something wet on your exposed neck. "Are you- Are you crying?" You whispered to her.

She nodded, just as a violent sob involuntarily slipped past her lips. She held you as if you were going to disappear within the next second. You were no different. You missed her. You missed holding her and kissing her and being with her.

"Let's talk about this when we reach your home." You mumbled to her. With that, you allowed her to stay up and carried her as you and her parents headed for their car.

"Dani, talk to me." You said quietly.

The two of you were lying on her bed. She was practically on top of you. Ever since the airport, she hasn't let go of you once, except for when you had to shower and change. Other than that, she was clinging to you as if her life depended on it, and you let her. Her eyes sparkled every time she looked at you.

Danielle sighed and sat up, so you followed. She didn't face you. She just kept her head down. "I guess I... I took everything for granted. I honestly- I honestly don't know why I cheated, Y/N. I don't know what's wrong with mem, I was so stupid to do that to you, and I lost the most important person in my life because of it, and God, I just- I hate myself for it." She explained as tears brimmed her eyes. She hit her head with a balled up fist as she spoke, which sparked concern within you.

"Yah," You reached out and grabbed her wrists, pulling her hands away from her head to stop her from possibly seriously hurting herself. "Don't hurt yourself because of this."

"Y/N, I hurt you, and I can't- I-I can't even live with myself after what I did!" She cried. Tears were now streaming down her face. "I hate it! I hate it! I'm disgusti-"

Damnit. She still has an affect on you, which is why you couldn't help your next actions.

You cupped her cheeks and pulled her closer to connect your lips. The kiss was slow so that she could keep up, but you enjoyed every moment of it. You missed this. You missed her. You couldn't stand her saying such hateful words directed towards herself.

When you parted for air, she began to cry even more. "Y/N~" She wailed. She looked like a child to you, but you still felt a pain in your chest at the sight of her breaking down in front of you. "Why would you do that!? You're- You're supposed to hate me, you idiot!" She sniffled and shook her head.

You just lowered your head and chuckled, taking her hand into yours. "I don't know, Dani. You just have that effect on me. I couldn't help myself. Sorry." You confessed.

You continued. "Look, Dani, I... I forgive you for the past, okay? Please don't say bad things about yourself. I still love you, and it hurts to hear those things." The words came out before you could even stop yourself from saying them.

She looked at you with wide eyes and stared at you in silence. The silence lasted for a little longer than you liked, but it was broken when she started crying again. She threw herself onto you, almost causing you to fall off of the bed if you didn't catch yourself. You wrapped an arm around herself and held her up as she pushed herself impossibly close to you.

"I still love you too. I love you, I love you, I love you, I love you." She repeated those three words desperately, like it was a lifeline. You simply cradled her head against your chest.

"You might not love me in the way that I do, but as long as you're here, I'll be fine." She whispered. It was quiet that you almost missed it.

Looks like you'll be coming back for good.

"I love you the way I loved you a year ago, Dani. It's the Danielle effect." She giggled, but you could tell her throat was sore and she was tired from the crying.

You pressed a kiss to her head and let your head fall back as the both of you enjoyed the silence and peace surrounding you, and eventually fell asleep.