(request) danielle › the danielle effect

En başından başla

She shook her head frantically. "Y/N- Y/N, listen to me, I do love you, I-"

"If you loved me, then you wouldn't have fucking cheated, Danielle!" You snapped. "How long have you even been seeing my best friend, anyway?" You demanded. Your voice came out cold and angry, but you could care less at this moment.

Danielle hung her head and clasped a dainty hand over her mouth. "A-... A month. I'm so sorry. I really am." Her voice cracked.

At least she was sorry.

You poked your inner cheek with your tongue and averted your gaze to the brick wall beside you.

Haerin was looking between the two of you, obviously feeling guilty as she caught on to what was happening.

When you looked back up, you made eye contact with Haerin and spoke up. "I'm sorry that you had to see that." You mumbled apologetically.

Haerin instantly shook her head, her eyes wide and genuine. "No, no, I'm sorry for coming in between the two of you. If she had told me she had a girlfriend, I wouldn't have made a move on her, Y/N, I promise. I would never do that to you. I'm so sorry." She bowed ninety degrees, while you waved your hand dismissively with a small smile.

You locked eyes with Danielle as you said your next words.

"It's okay. You're not the one at fault."

And with that, you turned on your heel and walked out of the restroom before either of them could stop you.

A year later, you're now a senior in high school, and a lot has changed since that day. The biggest difference is that you're now living in the States. Of course, you miss your home back in South Korea, but after what happened, after that bond had been severed, you couldn't stand being there. Conveniently enough, your mother had gotten a job offer that would require all of you to move to America, which is where you were born. Initially, your mother was going to decline, as all of you were content where you were, but when you told her about what happened, she told you about the offer, and you all decided that you would go.

So here you are, living a new life in America. A blank slate. Nobody knew who you were, except for a handful of people who knew you as a kid. You could start anew with just you and yourself. You don't need to have someone by your side, you've come to realize. And so far-although a small part of your heart is still in South Korea in the form of Danielle Marsh-for the most part, you've moved on.

Over the course of a year, you've become a completely different person, as your parents have pointed out. You used to be reserved and approachable, nurturing, and some students around you even considered you their role model. Now, some people would describe you as rude, unafraid to cause a scene, and completely unapproachable. You were most definitely no longer seen as a role model.

But this is just who you are now.

Currently, you're on the school roof, taking in the serenity of the atmosphere. You've been up there for the last hour. You come everyday to get away from everything, because it seems like everything stresses you out these days. Ever since you moved to America. Perhaps it's because the one person you loved the most wasn't here with you. She wasn't here to hold your hand, or to kiss you, or to hold you close and tell you that you mean the world to her.

Or, you did mean the world to her. Before she kissed someone else.

After a few more moments passed, you pushed yourself away from the railing and headed towards the door that led back into the school.

As soon as you walked into your first class of the day, your teacher called you up to her desk. You groaned and rolled your eyes.