Chapter 123 ~ Alterisa vs Illya

Start from the beginning

Normally, her opponents wouldn't charge at her like this the moment the fight started. Even Luke would use either his earth or wind spells first to obstruct her or buff himself before charging.

But Illya charged at her immediately without giving her a chance to summon her spear of ice.

Unlike warriors, who could draw their weapons beforehand, mages can only start casting their spells when the match starts. It was a rule made so warriors can fight against mages on equal grounds since they're starting quite a distance away from each other.

Illya used that rule to her advantage and charged towards Alterisa.

She knew she was still inferior to Alterisa as a warrior, but Alterisa wouldn't be able to fight as one without her spear.

She is currently a mage, and Illya has an advantage in melee combat against one.

Illya readied her sword to her side, charging up an attack and readying to cast a skill.

But in that moment, a massive wall of ice burst forth from the ground, reaching more than six meters in height and one meter in thickness in an instant.

Gasps erupted from the audience.

Alterisa had just created such an enormous wall of ice without a chant in an instant. Even royal court magicians aside from Lawliela and a few senior mages couldn't create such an enormous wall of ice that fast.

It was a shocking sight. They all knew how talented and powerful Alterisa was. But perhaps, they were still underestimating her.

But not Illya.

She had expected this. After all, Alterisa was incredibly powerful. Although she was quite surprised by the sudden appearance of the wall, Illya had expected this level of strength from her beloved friend.

"Haaaah!!! Shatter before me!!! <<Triple Slash>>!!!"

Her sword shined with brilliant light. And in an instant, three arcs manifested with one swing of her sword, shattering the wall of ice into pieces and revealing Alterisa's figure behind it, smiling brightly.

In her right hand, a beautiful spear of ice had already manifested. But instead of charging towards Illya, taking advantage of the opening created from casting a skill, Alterisa raised her left hand.

"That's impressive, Illya! Then, what about this?"

She swung her left hand down, and the shattered pieces of ice suddenly shot towards Illya.

"What...?!"

Her eyes widened in shock.

Having known and trained with Alterisa for so long, Illya had seen many of the spells she was capable of casting.

She knew, first hand, how unparalleled Alterisa's magic was. But even then, she didn't expect her to be able to control the pieces of ice from the shattered wall of ice.

Magicians can turn their mana into elements. But after casting a spell, those elements were no longer linked to the magician. They simply exist as a part of nature after the mage casts their spell. That is why mages can't change the trajectory of a fireball once it's cast, or stop a lightning in its path.

Very few archmages of the past had theorized its possibility, and the royal court magicians have been researching its possibility.

A breakthrough happened recently, and the kingdom's magic research department, which was a part of the royal court magicians, managed to prove it, albeit on a very small scale.

Alterisa was the one who helped them with it. There was a paper written by the royal court magicians that proved the possibility of controlling the element of a spell after casting, and Alterisa was one of the authors who worked on it. It was actually one of her "homework" she had to do while she was in the academy.