"Just go already and do your dumb medicine cat stuff."

"...Alright," the small gray tom responds with a sigh, wriggling into the small cavern making up the elder's den.

Why the Clan's sole elder, who in Hailwatcher's opinion deserves at least a nice place to sleep, is relegated to such a dim place is beyond him.

Kestrelwing doesn't enter behind the young medicine cat, instead lingering ominously at the entrance.

At the very back of the den is a pale gray she-cat, hunched over in an uncomfortable-looking position.

"..Hi, Quietwater," Hailwatcher murmurs hesitantly, venturing a little closer.

Quietwater turns around to face the gray tom, squinting at him through tired blue eyes.

"Who is that?"

"It's....Hailwatcher. The medicine cat."

Awkwardly clearing his throat, Hailwatcher peeks into the leaf wraps and nudges forward one of the herb wraps.

"I got you some herbs for your joints..."

Quietwater stares challengingly at Hailwater for several moments before accepting the bundle of herbs, slowly lapping the mixture up while keeping her gaze fixed on him.

Hailwatcher shuffles around awkwardly, thinking of some way to make conversation as he watches the elder finish her herbs.

"Hmph," she grunts, leaning on the foreleg she's propped herself up with.

"Hopefully that'll help," the young medicine cat murmurs, forcing a weak smile.

Looking unimpressed, Quietwater strains to scratch her ear with a hind leg.

"Why are you looking at me like that? Do you want to hear a story or something?"

"Uh- no- I-I mean, if you want to tell one, that's fine-"

"I don't."

Tired of putting up a cheery facade, Hailwatcher sighs.

"I did- have a question.."

"What is it?" Quietwater snaps, looking more ornery than before now.

"...Uh- how do I put this- you are my kin, aren't you?"

The pale gray she-cat goes silent, silver-tinged muzzle scrunching up in a snarl.

"..Yes."

Finding comfort in some kind of certainty, Hailwatcher pricks an ear.

"So you must be related to my mother, then...right?"

Quietwater growls quietly to herself, ears flattening.

"I was her father's sister. Helped raise her after her mother died."

Hailwatcher forces himself not to get too excited, as he senses that the pale gray elder is liable to clam up any moment now.

"She had so much going for her, was a lovely cat and all that," continues Quietwater, rolling her eyes, "-but then she went and fell in love with some rogue and died, and now we all have to deal with the-"

The elder abruptly cuts off her diatribe, fur bristling as she rests her head on her paw.

Pausing to take in the new information, the young medicine cat glances down at the pale gray she-cat.

"So- does that mean-"

"Gonna stop you right there," Quietwater mutters.

"I'm done talking today, especially to you. Get out."