And constantly being around him definitely didn’t help with the disease.

You tried keeping your distance, but it's hard to do so when you constantly hang out with him and go on missions together.

So you decided to stop hanging out with Hunter entirely in hopes that it would lessen the coughing fits. Unfortunately, this did not help make your condition any better and avoiding Hunter only made him grow more concerned.

Every time he tried talking to you other outside of missions, you just brushed him off with excuses. This made you feel guilty but it's for the best. This is just temporary, everything will go back to normal eventually. Hopefully.

This made you feel miserable.

You missed hanging out with him without this stupid disease.

You missed the time where you could make jokes with him and laugh without feeling suffocated.

You missed hearing his laugh and seeing his smile.

You missed having him around.

You missed him.

It's fine, I just have to wait for these feelings to go away and everything can be back to normal. Who am I kidding? These feelings obviously won't go away.

One day, the both of you were assigned to go on a mission together. It was just a simple mission in the forest.There have been some sightings of wild witches going in and out of there for a few days now so Emperor Belos assigned you and Hunter to go patrol the area.

Everything seemed normal, no wild witches anywhere in sight. You and Hunter made small talk. Him clearly wanting to bring up the subject about your recent change in behavior while you try your best to avoid talking about it.

Everything was fine when all of a sudden you felt the pain in your chest intensify causing you to kneel on the ground. Hands gripping the dirt beneath you as you started hacking up whole flowers.

Nononono, not now-

But you couldn't stop.This time it was much worse. It felt more painful than any other coughing fit you've had. Tears welled up in your eyes from the feeling of bile coming out your throat. Huge amounts of blood coming out of your mouth, stray drops dribbling down your chin. Flowers you've coughed up landing on the bloody puddle with a splat as it made contact with the ground.The taste of copper lingering on your tongue.

Hunter saw it happen and there's no lying your way out this time.

Ah Fuck

"Holy shit. (Y/N), are you okay what the heck is going on? Why are you coughing up bloody flowers?" Hunter asked, worry etched on his face. Hunter knelt down next to you, rubbing circles on your back in an attempt to comfort you.

"I-it's nothing, just a little cough. I'll be fine." Your voice a little raspy, as you drew in a shaky breath trying to get some oxygen into your lungs.

Brushing off his concerns for you as you wiped the blood and tears from your face. Hunter backed away to give you some space as he offered his hand out to you for support. Which you gratefully took as he helped you slowly get up.

But Hunter had enough. He was not going to let this slide. "That's fucking bullshit and you know it! Please stop lying to me. You're obviously not okay. You look like you’re going to pass out any second from the amount of blood you’ve lost. " Tears welled up in his eyes as his voice started cracking up.

"First you avoided me like the plague for weeks without a proper explanation and now you're coughing up fucking blood and flowers. That's not fucking normal. Don't tell me that it's nothing. Please, (Y/N), let me help you. Tell me what's going on." He said. Desperation seeping through his voice.

You winced at his outburst feeling guilty for lying to him.

Welp this is it, it's probably going to get so awkward. But he deserves to know the truth.

You looked Hunter in the eyes.

You took a deep breath and confessed to him.

"Hunter, I...I have something to confess." You pause for a moment, trying to find the right words to say. "I have hanahaki. I know that we're best friends and that we've been through a lot together, but...I have feelings for you. I don't know when it started or how it happened, but...I just can't keep it hidden anymore. And I know that it's not fair to you to keep you in the dark about it. But I thought that if I avoided you I could make the disease go away. Because the person I have hanahaki for is you. I like you. As in more than just a friend. I know you probably don't feel the same way,but I hope we can still remain friends." You started to ramble off as your eyes trailed to the ground.

Hunter just stood there silently, eyes widening in shock, staring at you as a blush slowly formed on his face.

"Ummm Hunter?" You began to feel more nervous. You took a quick glance at him. You couldn't tell if he was turning red because he was blushing or because he was embarrassed.

"I like you too. I've had for a long time, but I was too scared to tell you."He blurted out after a moment.

You couldn't believe what you were hearing. Hunter likes you too? You felt a blush creep up your face after finally processing his words.You felt the flowers in your chest begin to disappear. You could finally breathe normally again.
You were cured.

"(Y/N), I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier, If I had just told you you wouldn't have to suffer because of me"

"No no. It's not your fault. None of it is. It's not like you knew this would happen." You approached him, pulling him into a hug.

"Sooo does this make us official?" He asked while returning the gesture.His gloved hands holding onto you as if you would disappear.

"Yeah. I-I guess it does."

"Does this mean we can hangout again like we used to? I missed having you with me." He mumbled as he buried his face in the crook of your neck.

"Of course you dork. I promise I'll make it up to you after the mission. But for now let's just stay like this a little longer."

"And I missed you too."

The two of you stay like that for a moment, lost in the warmth of each other's embrace. Finally, you pull back, looking at Hunter with a smile. "So...what happens now?" you ask, feeling a bit unsure of what comes next.

Hunter grins at you, taking your hand in his. "Now, we take things one step at a time. We will figure things out together."