𝟎𝟔 | 𝐴𝑐𝑟𝑎𝑠𝑖𝑎...

Start from the beginning

After being within close vicinity alongside the woman who I know will always have my back no matter what, who will pick me up at my lowest and will raise my spirits when it's most needed, the more she's learned of the specifically detailed areas of my emotions, able to read my face and mind like a book she never wants to put down, the easier it becomes to detect each minor social interaction that occur between us. Even without her vast experience of enduring my personality, it doesn't take a fool to realise I'm anything but fine...or to realise it's most certainly not the time to question me on my unbeknownst emotions.

"Okay, E...whatever you say..." as if she read my mind, Jasmin wheels herself back over to her work station which is adjacent from my own, where I'm attempting to complete an article my boss emailed over to me, scheduled to be finished within the next coming hour. Clicking on the document I received, the page opens to fill my screen in its entirety, the headline of the newly produced article catching my eye,

'Chicago's Finest Divorce Attorney. Ms. Sloan Mendez-Huges: The Secret to Lawful Success...'

A breath hitches precipitously inside my throat, something minimal that I find myself harshly choking on, trying my best to cover up the embarrassing moment with a loudly executed 'ahem', which I'm sure turns a few heads of my colleagues close by, embarrassment creeping up. Knowing that I'm about to delve deep into the professional and possibly personal life of one of the two women who I think highly of makes my body tingle in places I truly didn't think existed, even after living with this body for the last 22 years, which seem like a complete waste to me now after experiencing different kinds of touches that set me alight from within ever since those mere couple of weeks ago when my life changed for the better...

Before I can even begin to realise how quickly the time that made up the wholesome idea of my shift, it seems as though I've reached the end of my painfully long job

Before I can even begin to realise how quickly the time that made up the wholesome idea of my shift, it seems as though I've reached the end of my painfully long job...for today, at least. "Want a ride home?" as grateful as I am for the touching offer, which I'm sure has an ulterior motive of making sure I find myself to my place of residency in a safe and compact way based on my friends undying need to take care of me in a way no one else does, the very last thing I'd prefer to do is make a dreaded arrival to a damaged and broken home I currently live in, suffering through my fragmented relationship that is sure to be beyond the point of no return...

I barely find the chance to give my friend an appropriate answer, as I notice my boss, Emerson, step outside of his established office, a blank expression resting on his face during the time his eyes fixate on me, carelessly stood in the middle of the communal office area, casually talking to my colleague. Something within his gaze tells me the next words to come flying out of his arrogant mouth are ones I will refuse to appreciate, on any kind of level...

"Juliana, in my office, please." ducking his body back into the room, leaving the door slightly ajar so any recurring conversations can easily be heard, with caution, I lean far inward so my lips are level with Jasmin's ear, my words easily audible through the thick tension coating the rooms air. "No, thanks. I best go see what 'Up-His-Ass' wants." managing a snigger between us which accidentally causes a small yet loud laugh from myself, I whack my friend on the upper arm to silence her chuckles from the one person with the power to scold us incessantly, and who needn't hear our mischievous behaviour in the workplace occurring.