"Don't Cry."-Jade West

POV of Tori.
____________________________________

I walk into Sikowitz's acting class and sit in my usual seat. I walk in right as the bell rings because my class prior to this is the furthest possible room from here.

Figures.

Everyone is already sitting down. I take my usual seat and look behind me at Jade. Immediately I can tell something is wrong.

She looks...rough. Beautiful of course, but rough. Her eyes are red and glassy and her makeup is slightly smudged, like she's been crying.

My heart drops.

Oh honey. I think to myself.

I want to ask her if she's okay. I want to scoop her up in my arms and hold her and make whatever is bothering her go away.

She briefly makes eye contact with me then looks away, blinking away tears.

I want to cry myself.

Sikowitz walks over to her and says quietly.

"Hey, I got your email. If you need to step out at all during class today that's totally fine."

What email? What happened? Is she okay?

So many thoughts race through my head as I try to conjure up any idea as to what may have happened.

My thoughts are interrupted as Sikowitz skips to the front of the room grabbing my attention.

"Okay class!" He says enthusiastically. "To start we're going to go around the classroom and share our favorite screen performance with the class, Tori! You're starting."

"Ummm," I say, racking my brain. Suddenly I forget every movie I've ever seen.

"Oh, I really liked Jennifer Aniston in Friends!"

Immediately I regret saying that as Sikowitz rolls his eyes.

I know it's a basic response, my mind went blank.

"Okay." He replies dismissively. "Would you like to pass the question to your left or your right?"

"Left." I say without even thinking twice.

Jade is to the right of me and I want to give her a minute to calm down before she has to talk in front of the class.

I kind of zone out listening to people's responses to the question. All I can think about is Jade. She isn't at all a dramatic or weak person. She never cries over anything so something really bad must have happened for her to be this upset.

I want to ask her if she's okay but it seems like it's not the best time; there's a lot of people in this class and I can tell it's already taking every ounce of her strength to not cry right now. She's staring at her feet and biting her lip.

"Jade!" Sikowitz says loudly, startling her. "It is your turn to answer the question, what is your favorite film performance?"

"Oh, sorry." She responds.

Her eyes dart around the room a few times.

"Um... I absolutely loved the show Pretty Smart. Everyone just did their own thing in this perfect little world and everyone was friends and it's just sooo... perfect." She rambles, her voice wavering at the end causing her to abruptly end her sentence.

I feel like someone stabbed me in the heart.

"I'm going to the bathroom." She says as she runs out the door.

"Okay class, let's get started then. Everyone take out the scripts I gave you last week and read through them out loud three times to familiarize yourself."

"Oh, I left mine in my locker..." I fabricate "Can I go get it?"

Sikowitz looks at me as I bite my tongue.

Please say yes, please say yes.

"Fine, but make it quick."

"Thanks!" I yell as I'm already halfway out the door.

Of course I feel bad for lying; but I need to check on Jade.

My eyes dart around the hallway as I look for Jade.

I know she didn't actually go to the bathroom, she hates it in there because there's always minimum two girls doing their makeup and gossiping, so she avoids it at all costs.

I stop in my tracks when I see the janitors closet.

Of course.

I scan the hall to make sure no teachers are coming then I slip in quickly. Lo and behold, Jade is there sitting on the ground with her head in her knees crying.

"OUT." She yells immediately.

"Jade, please."

"NO-I'm serious Tori I don't want to be around anyone right now."

"Will you shush before a teacher hears!" I answer sternly, overlapping her.

She rolls her eyes.

I sit down across from her and look her in the eyes.

She bites her lip and looks away.

"Do you want to tell me what's wrong?" I ask softly.

"Why should I?"

"Maybe I could help."

She looks up at me, tears still in her eyes.

"Nobody can help."

"Maybe I can't fix what's bothering you, but I can help you feel better."

She's silent for a long time and I can tell she's thinking about what I said.

"I really don't want to talk about it right now. Thank you though. I really appreciate it, Tori."

"Okay... we should probably get back to class before Sikowitz sends someone to look for us."

I stand up and offer my hand to help her up.

"Yeah." She says taking my hand.

"Take a few deep breaths."

"I'm okay." She says.

We walk back to class together and take our seats.

"Tori, I see you were very successful as finding your script in your locker." Sikowitz says sarcastically.

Shoot. I forgot about that.

"Sorry- I think I left it at my house, I'll have it tomorrow I promise."

"I have an extra copy she can use." I hear Jade say from the row behind me.

"Thank you." I smile as I take the papers from her.

She smiles back.

I settle in and start reading the script when my phone vibrates.

New Message from Jade West:

I'll tell you what's wrong l8ter, too much to get into rn.

I heart her message and put my phone back into my pocket.

It's progress.