Chapter 34: Falling

Start from the beginning

⇢⇢⇢⇢

I wake up in my bed and assume one of the Mikaelsons brought me here last night after I fell asleep. I decide to take a quick shower to start my day. As I dry my hair, I walk into my closet to pick out an outfit. I settle on a black graphic tee, dark cargo pants, white tennis shoes, and a white jacket. Once I change, I put on my jewelry, noticing the slight glint from my earrings.

    I jog down the stairs and into the kitchen to grab a bagel

I jog down the stairs and into the kitchen to grab a bagel. As I spread the cream cheese on my toasted bagel, I hear some voices coming from the living room. Walking in, I don't even attempt to contain my groan of distaste upon seeing Sophie in the room with Beks and Nik. "Why is this bitch here?" I complain. Bekah stands up to kiss me and immediately my mood improves.

I take her hand and sit with her on one of the unoccupied couches. Just as Bekah asks Sophie a question, Nik's phone rings. "Marcel, it's a bit early in the day for you to be calling, isn't it?"

Listening in, I hear Marcel's reply. "I know I make it look easy, but I still have an empire to run."

"Rather you than me," the blonde original comments. "All that responsibility seems like such a bore."

Marcel informs Nik, "Well, this might spice things up. I just got a call making me aware that a bunch of witches are dead in the bayou. The kind of damage a werewolf might do, except there wasn't a full moon last night. I have a guy out there that I said I'd meet and I would like it if you would accompany me."

"Dead witches in the bayou," Klaus restates. "Sounds like less of a problem than it is a cause for celebration."

"Bitch witches had it coming to them," I murmur.

"Hello, Pen," Marcel addresses me. "Anyway, something killed them and they could still be out there. Seeing as though your blood is the only cure for a werewolf bite, I would appreciate you coming along with me."

Nik shrugs, "Why not? I haven't been to the Bayou in ages. I'm on my way."

"You can't go out there now," Sophie stresses to Nik after he hung up the phone. "If I don't get to them before sundown, we lose the link to their magic." I scoff and roll my eyes.

"Those witches tried to kill Penny," Bekah nearly growls, despite not being the one who's part wolf in the room.

Nik approaches Sophie with a glare. "I prefer for Marcel's informant not to find anything that would lead him back to us, to her, or to the baby. Stay put and save the rest of your story until I return," he announces before leaving. I sigh and follow after him. Catching up, I engulf him in a hug and tell him to be safe before he speeds off.

Sophie passes me as I enter the house and she exits. Looking at Rebekah, I walk up and place my arms around her shoulders. "How about I take you out on a date? I know a place," I offer. She agrees and we start the walk to the restaurant known as Carrie's Diner. It's in a nook on the border of the french quarter, so it can be overlooked, but the food is to die for.

I look down at Rebekah and I's entwined hands with a smile, happy to be with her. I open the door and gesture her in. Behind the counter, I see Carrie, a vampire turned in the 1930s. I knew her when she was human and had just opened the diner. Her dream of running a diner never changed, so she still runs it to this day. "Carrie! How are you?"

She looks up with a smile and rounds the counter to hug me. "I'm good. It's so good to see you! Who's your friend?"

With a grin, I reply, "This is my girlfriend, Rebekah." Beks seems overjoyed by the new title.

"It's nice to meet you," Bekah tells her.

"You as well!" She takes us to a booth at the front window, which she knows is my favorite table. We slide into the seats and she takes our drink orders before disappearing into the back of the restaurant.

I meet Bekah's loving gaze and reach my hand out over the table for hers. Our hands link and I start the conversation by telling her how I met Carrie. "That's great," Beks comments when I finish talking. "I'm glad to be here and that you are showing me a part of your history. I enjoy getting to know more about you every day, and each day I learn something new about you, I fall more deeply for you, Aspen."

The words are some of the sweetest I have heard since my last, and only, relationship. My eyes sparkle with love. Her blue irises captivate me. "I am glad you do, since I reciprocate those feelings. I am glad I met you and have been able to get to know you as time continues."

She smiles then looks down at her menu. "What is good here?"

"Everything. My personal favorites are the diner's specialty sandwich, lemon ricotta pancakes, and mozzarella-tomato panini. I think I'm going to get the sandwich. You are welcome to try a bite," I beam.

"Then I'll get the lemon ricotta pancakes and we can split?" she asks.

"Yup!"

⇢⇢⇢⇢

Brunch is amazing and Bekah and I visit many stores on the way back to the house, sharing many quick kisses.