Two: New Job and No Way Home

The interview, surprisingly, went rather well. He had a job now and a cover story.

Unfortunately that was part of the problem.

Now that one of the princes knew he was here, if Martyn just vanished or went back to the Underground District, Prince Scott would surely notice his sudden disappearance, and it probably wouldn't take much to connect the dots.

So, for now at least (he needed a valid reason to leave first, of course), he was stuck in the castle.

——

Martyn glanced away from his conversation with Scott at a loud laugh from next to them. They were stood in the courtyard and Scott (who looked very tired) was talking about a book he had been reading.

His gaze landed on a group of four-ish people- Prince Etho and Grian's fiancé Scar were the only two he recognised.

The Merling hybrid glanced at one of the people he didn't recognise: a freckled man with white hair, tanned skin and odd eyes that were both brown and green. He had multiple bruises scattered all over and a small purple flower on the mossy cloak he was wearing, and he was chattering excitedly to a zombie hybrid with ginger hair, green eyes and an odd pink and purple outfit.

Martyn shot Scott a quizzical look, and the prince let out a small laugh. "That would be my brother Etho, my other brother's fiancé Scar, Etho's boyfriend BDubs and Scar and BDubs's friend Cleo." The shorter of the two pulled a face, his nose wrinkling slightly. "They have a weird joke between them that Cleo is the mother of BDubs and Scar, and Etho's their... absent father? I don't understand it, but it's still funny." The blue haired Merling added brightly.

"Oh, so BDubs is the Floran hybrid that the public doesn't really... know the identity of?" Martyn queried slowly.

"Yep. He's pretty cool, actually. He doesn't understand a lot of royal- stuff or upper class stuff because he's working class, but uh... at least he's not from the Underground District." Scott added with an amused expression. Ah. Classist and he dislikes the Underground District. So pretty much how all of the Aquatic District thinks. Martyn nodded at Scott's 'joke' with an unimpressed expression, gritting his teeth and restraining himself from letting out a sarcastic response.

"Hm," was all he could say without letting an irritated comment slip.

The eldest prince of Vaelorin (technically the king of Vaelorin, although Scott's coronation wasn't for a few months yet) shot him a mildly confused look. "Did I... say something wrong?"

Martyn let out a non-committal, "Hm." Scott seemed to interpret this as Martyn saying he hadn't done anything wrong and nodded happily.

——

Martyn blinked at a loud shout from behind him, stumbling and nearly dropping the books he was carrying. "Excuse me! Are you Martyn Littlewood-Moon?" He turned around slowly to see an excitable (if rather short) pufferfish hybrid with dark brown hair that had a green streak and brown eyes.

"Uh... yes. And you are?" The hybrid added slowly as the man reached him.

"Joel Everson. Messenger. You have a letter!" He added triumphantly, dropping a crumpled envelope on top of Martyn's pile of books. "It was delivered to Prince Scott- King Scott?- because you're working for him and you don't have an address, which made it a pain to find you, but Prince Scott- I don't know if he's technically a king yet?- described you so that made it easy." Joel finished in a rush, grinning.

Martyn blinked at the amount of information packed into that sentence, taking a moment to register what had been said before nodding. "Oh, okay. Thank you."

"No problem!" The shorter man said triumphantly. "I am the quickest messenger, after all. Even if they've made me just- give letters to unimportant people- no offence- instead of reporting to the king." Ah, there's that Aquatic District arrogance. Knew it was in there somewhere.

"Okay. Thank you, short pufferfish man." Martyn remarked wryly, ignoring Joel's protests- something about average height- as he placed down the pile of books, picked up the envelope and opened it, scanning the letter quickly as he recognised his sister's scruffy handwriting.

Martyn, respectfully

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING

I know you went to go do that new job you were hired for (being vague in case some nosy loser is reading this- if you aren't my brother, begone you absolute fool) but according to my friend Cleo (she's friends with Prince Grian's fiancé AND Prince Etho's boyfriend) you're now WORKING FOR THE PRINCE???

Why?!?!

Do you know how long it took me to figure out how to send this letter to you without some nosy person reading it

You need to get home as soon as possible
:(((

the royal family might be stupid but they aren't that stupid.

Your job (again being vague) is completed and suddenly you turn up??? Suspicious

Cleo aaalllssooooo said you've been following Prince Scott around like a lovesick puppy please stop that

Getting attached to a royal family member probably won't end well Marty (yes I called you Marty suck it loser)

Love youuuu, come home sooooooon xxx

~Your amazing sister, Pearl

xoxo

Martyn stared at the letter, barely restraining laughter. Of course. He glanced at Joel, who was still complaining about how he was absolutely average height, thank you very much, and it wasn't his fault that everyone else was so freakishly tall.

The Merling hybrid folded up the piece of paper with a small smile. Sorry Pearl, but if I vanish it'll look suspicious. He let out a muttered, 'Thank you?', to Joel, who stop complaining and nodded smugly. The pufferfish hybrid then spun around and walked away without another word, leaving Martyn to pick up the books off the ground.

Woooo update

Also this book might be shorter than my other ones? Like 10-15 chapters?

Also Pearl and Martyn are siblings :)))

Also Joel is a pufferfish hybrid because I think it fits :)))