One: Sorry, I Killed Your Father

When Martyn took on the job of assassinating King Raegal, he hadn't exactly expected to end up hiding in a cupboard.

Let me explain a little bit.

Martyn lived in the (relatively) prosperous kingdom of Vaelorin.

For the most part (if you lived in the Aquatic District, at least) Vaelorin was a fair and just kingdom. Anyone outside of Vaelorin was envious of those inside it, and the Vaelorin royal family were known for miles and miles around Vaelorin.

There was of course, King Raegal, the leader of Vaelorin who was well-respected (if you lived in the Aquatic District) and kind to all (of those who lived in the Aquatic District).

Then there was the princes. The eldest, Prince Scott, was scarcely seen outside of the palace the royal family inhabited, although the few who had met him described him as rather quiet and withdrawn.

His younger brother, a white haired Merling hybrid who went by the name of Prince Etho, was much more social and friendly, if slightly awkward, and was often seen at charity events, hospitals and anything else you'd expect of a prince. He wasn't often, however, seem without his partner, an unnamed (to the public, at least) Floran hybrid.

The youngest of the trio (and last in line for the throne) was the incredibly mischievous Prince Grian. He was the only Avian in the royal family (only Void knew where he got the Avian blood from, although it was suspected that either the princes' late mother or the king himself had cheated, technically making him an illegitimate heir) and he travelled far and wide throughout the districts. There wasn't a day that went by when the colourful man wasn't attending a banquet in the Avian District, or helping his friend throw a party in the Hybrid District (he attended... a lot of parties, to say the least).

Most of the royal family people had no problem with. Citizens of all districts loved to speculate about Prince Scott's real personality behind that quiet appearance, to praise Prince Etho's generosity, to joke about Prince Grian's wild tendencies and impulsive decision making.

King Raegal was the problem.

He was exactly like every other corrupt king you might have heard of- he was greedy, he paid money to keep people quiet when he did awful things, he only funded the Aquatic District, he quietly killed off people who opposed him for made-up charges... the list went on.

And the people of Vaelorin had had enough.

Martyn, a Merling hybrid who also happens to be a renowned (he didn't exactly like to say 'renowned', but it was certainly true) assassin living in the Underground District, didn't pay much attention to the goings-on of the other districts- murders were a normal thing in the hellhole he lived in, and it wasn't an uncommon sight to witness one while you were on a walk.

He only really cared when he was approached a few days earlier and offered a large sum of money to kill the king- and when Martyn said a large sum of money, he meant a large sum of money- it was easily quadruple anything he'd ever been offered before for a job.

So of course, the hybrid said yes.

The trip to the Aquatic District was certainly an interesting one (it wasn't like Martyn had never been to other districts before, but it was certainly interesting- most of the jobs he was hired for were just people in the Underground District trying to get rid of people they disliked), and it was surprisingly easy to get into the castle.

In fact, the only thing the blonde even struggled with was finding the throne room and ducking around a corner to avoid being caught by Prince Grian and some random vampire guy (which was odd because why wouldn't he be hanging out with his fiancé- some elf guy called Scar-? But it was none of Martyn's business, so he moved on).

Killing the king was also relatively easy- there was a surprising lack of security even in the throne room, and Raegal didn't even put up that much of a fight.

However the guards were much better at searching for the killer of the king than they were at protecting him in the first place, which was how Martyn had ended up in a cupboard.

——

The blonde's gaze flicked to his watch as he squinted at it lamely, attempting to see anything in the darkness of the cramped space. He had been there for a few hours now at least, and the sounds of guards searching had faded into a mildly alarming silence.

Martyn pushed upon the door of the cupboard slowly, letting out an awkward yelp as he fell forward, tripped over his tail and landed face first on the floor of the small room he had hidden in. He scrambled to his feet, adjusting his dagger and making sure it was still in its sheath before  leaving the room-

And almost immediately running into a boy slightly shorter than him.

The Merling blinked, quickly fixing his brightly coloured hair and staring back at Martyn. "Why were you... in there?" He asked slowly. Ohhh crap. Martyn's gaze flicked to the crown on the blue-eyed boy's head. Prince Scott. Just my luck.

"Uh... well... there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for this, I promise." He added with a laugh that was slightly too high pitched and nervous.

Scott wrinkled his nose, clearly deep in thought, before brightening. "Are you here for the... job interviews or something? Father-" Guess nobody's told him about King Raegal yet. "-seems insistent on the fact that I should have an assistant of sorts." He added with a laugh.

"Uh- yes! That! I got very lost." Scott smiled wryly.

"Oh, I'll show you where they are! Don't worry about it!" The eldest prince made a hand gesture that implied that Martyn should follow him, and the blonde tripped over his tail (again) as he rushed to catch up with the prince.

Chapter one :D

Comments are appreciated <3