Chapter 29: Confrontation

Smoke burned your esophagus as you greedily inhaled the cigarette between your fingers. Occasionally glancing up from the sidewalk as demons passed by, walking this way and that way.

Several threw glances your way. Most of them stayed silent. You kept a calm but cold expression on your face; all the while your heart was pounding a little, and you almost felt weak in the knees. The truth is you were nervous about this meet up. You weren't sure why, it's not like you didn't know who you were about to be talking to, but you couldn't shake your nerves.

"Whew," a goat demon had cat-called in your direction. Lifting up his sunglasses to look your body up and down as he walked. His friend walking beside him then hit him upside the head, scolding him.

"Dipshit, that's the radio demon's girlfriend." The other demon said harshly. "Do you wanna get maimed? Don't even look at her..."

You merely cast them both a harsh glare. Narrowing your eyes and staring them down.

"Boo." You whispered, pretending to lunge at them slightly. Spurring both of them to take off running down the street while you leaned back against the wall; and took another drag from the cancer stick in your hand.

A smile tugged at your lips as you watched them run. Giggling quietly with a sense of satisfaction.

"You aren't going to try and scare me away, are you?" A familiar voice said as they approached your left side. You felt your heart tremor in your chest.

"No promises." You said dryly. Blowing smoke away from the other fox as you flicked the ash off the lit stoge with your claw.

"Fair enough." He chuckled awkwardly. "Thank you for meeting up with me. I've been wanting to talk to you for a while..."

"Oh have you?" You hummed with a lingering tone of indifference.

He nodded and sucked in a deep breath. "Want to go inside?" He asked.

"What's wrong with out here?"

"You're going to want a drink when I tell you what I need to tell you." He reasoned. "I'll buy you one."

You bit your tongue and looked down at the pavement. Already feeling a bit guilty to be meeting up with your ex without Alastor knowing about it. Granted, your intentions truly were innocent. But you had no idea how he would have reacted if he had known this is what you were really doing.

Ah well... One drink wouldn't hurt. Right?

"Whatever." You sighed. Extinguishing your cigarette on the bottom of your shoe before flicking it somewhere onto the ground.

"You know you can smoke inside, right? It's hell? Nobody cares." Johnny mentioned with a soft laugh.

"Old habits die hard, I guess." You huffed, breezing past him and walking on inside.

Loud music and neon lights greeted your senses as you both wandered inside. The smell of sweat, smoke and cheap perfume assaulting your nostrils as well. Johnny leaned in slightly so you could hear him over the music.

"Find a place to sit. I'll get our drinks."

You nodded without a word and scanned the area. It was the middle of the day, so it wasn't too busy; you spotted an empty booth over by one of the back walls and b-lined toward it. Sitting down and leaning back against your seat as you waited for him to come back.

You tapped your nails along the table as you waited. Still anxious about doing all of this. But you tried not to let it show. Although, that wasn't exactly the case... you were visibly anxious. It just came out in the form of agitation and aggression. A default mechanism for you. It was easier to feel mad than nervous.