TWELVE | RENDEZVOUS

Start from the beginning

"Then you need to find a way," he insisted, hands clenching on the table. "Because this isn't going to work."

"No, I had no idea," she scoffed, the sarcasm as thick and venomous as the ache in her chest.

The narrowing of his eyes and the taut set of his shoulders made it clear that he was not here to play around.

"Yeah, actually. You have no idea," he seethed. "You may be naively thinking you'll get through this, but you haven't seen even half of what is to come yet."

Her grip tightened around the cup. "Are you threatening me?"

"Think whatever you want. I don't care." He rose to his feet, palms flat as he pushed off the table. "Just follow me. I want you to see something."

"What?"

Min looked after him, only just now noticing the sleek black car idling at the side of the road. The engine was humming but the windows were too tinted for her to get a peek at the driver. All she could see were the blue sky and clouds reflecting off the windows.

Yeosang ignored her shock, opening the door to the backseat and waving a hand at her to get in.

She gaped and sank further into her chair. "I am not getting into that car with you."

"I know you don't like or trust me. The feeling is mutual," he said, pinching his nose with a weighty exhale. "But you have a tail on you and, unfortunately, we have to talk."

Her heart dropped at that. She knew he was telling the truth without even checking to find a stalker. Min trusted Yeosang about as much as a fly trusts a web, but she did not want to be alone in the unfamiliar city. Not now when she couldn't even be sure that Kevin would come to her aid if she ever were to need it.

The photo flashed behind her eyes again and she remembered just how jumpy he had seemed at the charity event. She did not trust him, but she trusted his fear. He was no threat to her. Not right now, at least.

"Fine."

Swallowing her pride, she stood on shaky feet and reluctantly approached the vehicle. She kept her bag tight to her side, repressing the urge to run the other way.

She sat herself into one of the expensive, cushy leather seats. Yeosang got in on the other side. He rested an elbow on the door, face illuminated by the daylight as he faced the window.

The driver in the front wore a tailored suit with a crisp collar. The old man's dark, hooded eyes met Min's in the mirror before putting the car in drive. He cleared his throat and looked away.

"Your father would not like this, sir," the driver insisted.

Yeosang tensed. "He doesn't need to know."

Min spared the violinist a glance, but she couldn't get a read on him. His sunglasses concealed his eyes and the rest of his face betrayed nothing. He crossed his arms and relaxed into his seat as if it were any other day.

"Where are you taking me?" Min asked, growing rapidly impatient. Her fingers fiddled with her charm bracelet.

He didn't even look at her. "To show you something."

"That wasn't the question."

He sighed and blurted, "Well that's the answer you're getting."

Min wanted to ask more questions, but she knew she wasn't going to get any answers on her terms. This was all Yeosang's territory and she was simply along for the ride.

The ride persisted in silence. The driver was taking them deeper into the city, the traffic around them thickening with every turn. Short buildings turned into towering skyscrapers the longer they drove. The car even rode over the Newhurst bridge, crossing the river. Min had never been to this side of the city before.