I'm Not Going Anywhere

Eddie was getting sicker. His headaches were worse. He was tired all the time, even after sleeping for twelve hours straight. He felt weak and sluggish. And if he did more than just walk a couple of steps his heart would start to race, and he'd get out of breath. His bouts of dizziness came more frequently and lasted longer, making him afraid to go anywhere near the stairs without Steve at his side, practically holding him up.

So, he eventually stopped going near the stairs at all. He spent all his time in bed, mostly dozing, but sometimes just staring at the wall or the ceiling. Steve even brought his meals to him in bed. But after the first day, Eddie had stopped eating. He had no appetite. He tried, took a few bites here and there, but the effort of chewing tired him out too much.

Eddie's legs were bothering him as well. They itched and crawled and when he was laying down, he couldn't stop moving them. When he was not laying down, they ached and throbbed and even Steve rubbing them did nothing to relieve the restlessness.

Steve didn't sleep much. He mostly laid half-awake next to Eddie, listening to his breathing, his hand on his chest so he could feel it rise and fall, could feel his heart beat under his hand. He was afraid to fall asleep completely, so he couldn't keep an eye on Eddie as he slept. His biggest fear was that Eddie would fall asleep and not wake up again.

After the second day, when Eddie wouldn't even try to eat or do anything but lay huddled in bed, Steve called Wayne. He explained what was going on and how it had gotten worse over the last few days. Wayne started to suggest that Steve take him to a doctor, but he knew that wasn't possible. Finally, he told Steve he'd be there in a few hours, and they hung up just as there was a knock at the front door.

When Steve opened the door, Nancy held up a copy of The Vampire Lestat and smiled. "Found it," she said as Steve stepped aside to let her and Robin in. She looked around the living room. "Where's Eddie?"

"In bed," He answered.

"It's almost noon," Robin said. "Why's he still in bed?" Steve took the book from Nancy and laid it on the coffee table. "Go wake him up, we have news for him about the cabin. We found it and did a public records search and moving him in there shouldn't be a problem."

"He's sick," Steve said. Nancy looked up at him and noticed how tired and worried he looked. "He's been in bed for two days."

"Sick? Is he okay?"

"I don't know," he said in answer to Nancy's question.

"Can we see him," Robin asked.

"Yeah." Steve nodded and motioned towards the stairs then followed the girls up to his bedroom. Eddie was asleep so Steve knelt next to the bed, stroked Eddie's cheek and kissed his forehead gently, and spoke quietly to him. "Babe, wake up." Robin's eyes went wide, and she gave Nancy a questioning look. Nancy smiled and nodded. Eddie's eyes fluttered open, and he looked at Steve blearily. "Nancy and Robin are here to see you."

"Hi, Eddie," Robin said as she stepped up behind Steve. He smiled at her.

Nancy knelt next to Steve. "How are you feeling?"

"Tired," he whispered as he sat up and pulled the blanket up around his shoulders.