5. In His Shadow

Começar do início

Marshall's fingers curl under my chin, cupping my jaw as he turns me around and brings my face up to his.

After kissing me for a few seconds, I'm not even mad at him anymore.

But I still feel like I need some space from him.

"Marshall... I'm still going out though. By myself," I say against his lips, then back away from him, pushing against his chest gently.

"Where you gonna go?" He blinks a few times. He looks kind of upset with me, but understanding.

"I don't know, just want to explore the area, I guess. I need some air, and to like... think about things."

"Yeah, aight," he grumbles.

I smile at him and blow him a kiss at the door.

"I'll make it up to you later, I promise!"

"Yeah, you better do that, girl," he grumbles again, I swear sometimes he sounds like an old ass man. "Take security with you, at least," he then adds.

"I will," I reply, walking out of the hotel suit.

I don't know, I really do just need to be to myself for a few hours.

So I could process things.

My daddy getting out, that's crazy to me. Marshall is right, I am still low key very scared of him. Even after all these years, I can still remember the lengths my father had gone to separate me from Marshall, and him being behind bars and all this whole time, he seemed like he might have changed, but who really knows?! I'm terrified that he would be back to his old tricks to threaten Marshall, harm Marshall and get me back under his control again. Not to mention, Sienna. How would daddy feel about her, would he try to get his paws on her as well and control her like he used to control me, oh my God, just the thought alone is giving me anxiety!

And I feel like, if I'm around Marshall right now, he would try to placate me, reassure me how everything is going to be okay, which is great, but like... He does tend to downplay the seriousness of every situation.

Marshall never worries about anything, and that's why I always have to worry. For the both of us.

Because at least one of us has to be smart about this.

But then again...

Ugh, maybe I'm just too in my own head sometimes, I need to stop!!

I think I could use a drink...

Now that Marshall is sober, I'm pretty much trying to be sober with him in solidarity with him. Not to mention, that me even drinking or smoking before, was just a way for me to keep up with him anyways. So once he stopped doing those things, it wasn't no reason for me to keep up with it neither, and yet, right now, I feel like getting drunk.

Like, piss drunk...

So I ask my driver to take me to the nearest bar here in Rio.

Not long after, I find myself in this kind of a hole-in-a-wall type of an establishment, right along with my bodyguard.

I order this like really tropical cocktail and it honestly tastes amazing.

And I am also really feeling the vibe in this place, the music that's playing there sounds very relaxing, and I allow myself to just kind of melt away.

I'm also kind of missing Marshall too. It was pretty mean of me to just ditch him during what is basically like our second honeymoon and go to this bar all by myself just because I was a little upset with him earlier. This is our anniversary after all, and he literally went out of his way to surprise me with this trip to Brazil. Dang, I really am a brat, aren't I?