34. Valentine's Day

Start from the beginning

"If it were up to me, no", he admits as he sniffs my neck and shoulders. Skin begins to wrinkle from being in the water for so long", but I didn't bring you to a resort on another continent to lock you in a room".

"Wow", my mouth drops open. "That's not what I expected".

"Wrap up yourself well, cara, because we're going on an excursion".

Minutes later, hand in hand, we make our way outside. The complex is huge and also has a hotel, a spa, shops, thermal baths, artificial lakes and even an art gallery. What I did not expect was to find a hill to practice skating board.

"It's..". I can't find the right words to describe it "amazing. How is it possible?", I ask without understanding a damn thing.

We're right in the middle of Oakland, so there's no way a mountain could have magically sprung up.

"Everything you see is artificial, darling", my husband replies as he points to the largest of the three elevations. " The hills, the snow, everything except the fir trees. Those were already planted here. That is why we chose this area to build the ski slope. It's not like the Aspen one, but it's very close and you don't have to travel as many miles to practice, plus it's available all year long, not just in winter. This is one of the main attractions in this place".

"But", I detach myself from his arms to enter the small elevator that takes us to the top of the mountain, "can you ski on it?"

"Of course", he points out the landscape from the glass wall. "Up here we can see the skyscrapers of the city". It's... amazing, it seems impossible to be in the middle of the city. That's why Adriano is so successful in business, he's a genius and always bets big. "Do you want to do it?"

"Ski?" I open my eyes as wide as possible. "No, thanks".

"Why?", He questions with intrigue and amusement at the same time. Surely he can see my fear. "You are not unsportsmanlike and I know from a good source that playing in the snow is your favorite pastime".

"I..."

"Haven't you done it before?", He deduces without needing to say anything else. "How is it possible?"

"Well, my parents didn't have much time available for vacations".

The mention of my parents brings me back to the horrific scene from last night and an involuntary tremor runs through my body. Since I woke up I have been ignoring the matter and thanks to Adriano's attention, I have managed to distract myself. However, the wound is still there: open, hurting... and I don't know if it will ever heal.

Assimilating your parents do not value or appreciate you when they are obliged to love you by the law of Nature is not an easy task and I do not think that one day I will be able to overcome it.

"We can correct that right now". Once again he manages to divert my attention.

"No", I deny immediately. They may not be like the Aspen Hills, but they are still very high. However, my husband's expression tells me the decision has been made. Although, I refuse to accept it. "I'm not going to jump out of there. Adriano". I back away as soon as I see him approach. "You can not force me!"

"Do you want to bet?"

He is laughing, the bastard is having fun at his will.

"Adriano Di Lauro!", I mutter as I continue to walk backwards. I'm living through the same scene as yesterday and I don't want to end up being thrown downhill in the snow like I did yesterday in the water. "Don't you dare to take another step. Adriano..."

I keep throwing warnings, but to no avail. Therefore, feeling defeated, I turn on my feet to run away from my husband.

"No!", I yelp in protest when he catches me around the waist. I don't give up and struggle with him, causing us to end up wallowing in the snow. "No, please, please, please".

I see myself in the need to beg and that amuses him more.

"What have I told you about fear, cara?", He questions in a hoarse voice, hitting my ear with his icy breath and as usual, cold and heat arise inside me and run through my veins until they mix and cause a burst of sensations. "You are the Woman of Steel, you should not fear anything or anyone..."

"But you", I complete the sentence before facing his metallic blue gaze, "whatever you can do to me, provoke me. Should I be afraid when you want to eat me... or when you get tired of it?

'Why did I ask that question?'

'Because you're dying to know the answer', my inner self replies.

"Have you still not understood, Cassandra?", He cups my chin with his gloved fingers as he brings his mouth close to mine without actually touching it. "I will never get enough of you. This marriage lost its expiration date the day you gave yourself to me".

His answer leaves me more confused than before and I try to ask him, but he attacks my lips relentlessly and then drags me into a changing room and makes love to me secretly, without even taking off our clothes.

In the end, he does his job and throws me down the mountain. Of course, he is the one who does all the work, I just cling to his body and scream in terror.

"I hate you!", I hiss with my arms crossed in an indignant pose.

"We both know you're lying", he replies, very sure of himself. " Admit it was fun".

It was..., but I'm not going to accept it to feed his ego even more. So I stand in my jaded position and let him content me with his seductive abilities.

Later, I find myself missing the little ones and we decide to join them for a while at the skating rink.

I weave a braid carefully to make it as similar as possible to the other side while I gladly receive his kisses on my shoulder. I begin to believe he will never get enough of me and I pray every night for it to be true.

"If you keep distracting me, I won't make it to the party".

"We don't have to go", he alleges without letting go of his caresses.

"We are the hosts", I remind him.

"Then, we suspend it".

"Adriano!", I protest with a high-pitched howl.

I smile when I hear him snort behind me. Looking into the mirror, I can see how flawless he looks. He often tells me I'm perfect, but if anyone represents the spitting image of perfection, it's him.

"I'll go to check out the kids", he finally gives in. "Don't delay or I really call off the party".

"Okay".

I let him go while I'm still tangled up in the complicated hairstyle. How easy it is for Leah!

"Do you need help?"

It's her voice... I would recognize her from miles away.

'But no... It is impossible'

I turn on the chair to meet the striking figure of her.

'She is here'

'How did she get here?'

"What are you doing here?"

If you want to know more about the story or its characters, you can follow me on Instagram @claullerenaescritora

Love you

xoxo