My protective instinct makes me want to take her in her arms and keep her in a glass urn so she won't be hurt again.

"There is nothing good in you", she continues, "and not only do you disappoint me, but I feel sorry for you because you will end up completely alone, disowned, ruined and not even your power or your money will be able to help you. And that day will begin your ordeal, Gibson Reid. You will suffer in your own flesh what you have made others feel".

"Nice verses". I squeeze my wife's hand and focus on her figure so as not to launch myself into the subject's jugular. "Maybe you should have dedicated yourself to poetry instead of medicine. Anyway, I'm not interested in hearing you".

"Neither me seeing you", the doctor says. "Go, become Chancellor, President and even the King of the world if you want, but forget my existence, just as I will try to do. I don't want you near me. As for you, mom", now she turns to the brunette with eyes as green as hers, "I don't want to see you either. you're just a hypocrite".

"I... didn't know, Cassandra". I must admit if she is acting, she does it very well.

"I don't believe you", her daughter replies. "You usually play the mute role, but when you are not deaf and you don't have a hair of stupid. What are you waiting for to leave?"

"Andrea", with a simple glance, the employee gets my message. "My men will lead you out of my facility", I report. "Needless to say, you are not welcome here".

Without further ado, I carry my wife in my arms to lead us to the suite. There, a doctor waits for us to examine her. What happened a few minutes ago has me a little unsettled. I'm worried about her... Cassandra Reid has become someone important to me and although I don't love her and never will, there are other aspects such as affection, trust and others which have emerged between the us.

My trust man appears in the room and I immediately ask for a status report. Fortunately, the Reids left without causing any more trouble and a couple of bodyguards have remained at the entrance of the hotel to avoid any more surprises.

"I want the manager in my office in twenty minutes", I order as the doctor checks on my wife.

"Yes, sir", he replies obediently.

"And start looking for private security for the condominium", I add. "I want proposals first thing in the morning tomorrow".

He nods again before leaving.

When I return to the room, the doctor has finished and I lead him into the main room for a report.

"It doesn't look like much", he replies to my relief. "Only the tension rose due to the impression, hence tachycardia. I've given her a painkiller, so she'll be asleep very soon until tomorrow".

"Okay", I advise. "Anyway, I want a full checkup".

"Tomorrow I will come first thing in the morning to take samples from her".

I say goodbye to him before enter the suite in a hurry. The image in front of my eyes stirs sensations buried in the depths of my guts.

I see her lying on her side, balled up with silent tears running down her pale cheeks.

"I can't imagine how you feel, cara", I approach the bed to sit at the foot of it, in front of her, but "I can guarantee you they don't deserve your tears".

"Their words don't surprise me", she comments a few minutes later, "since they have always been like that. Then why does it hurt?"

"Because you're not made of stone like them... or steel like me", I add unconsciously. "You are a sensitive... and strong at the same time".

"Well, right now I wish I weren't".

"Don't even think about it", I reply instantly. "You are perfect just the way you are, Cassandra Reid".

I take one of her hands and bring it to my lips.

"I don't want you to take away his sponsorship". She doesn't need to tell me anything more to know what she means. Even now she thinks of them. Before I met her, I doubted about existence of pure nobility. "Keep up the campaign or whatever you do for him".

"If you wish so", I concede.

"Just keep them away from me". It almost sounds like a prayer and the metal ignites again.

"Okay, darling".

"I...", she hesitates before starting to stammer, "I know we..., that you and I are not, but..., could you hug me? At least for tonight. I really need it".

I stand up to put the bag on the couch and walk around the bed before lying down in the same position. Then, I press my chest against her back and pull her into my arms.

"I'm here to meet your needs, cara".

I place my lips on her neck and shoulder while continuing to caress her gently until the measured rhythm of her breathing tells me that she has fallen asleep.

I take one last look at her and check on my children's sleep before heading towards the office area.

"Mr. Di Lauro..."

"I'll be brief and concise", I interrupt him out of the blue. "Prepare termination letter for all security staff".

He remains silent for a few seconds, but then he nods his head sure of a "yes, sir".

Homework is due first thing in the morning, so he's got a long night ahead of him. Therefore, I leave after giving him all the instructions, but not before issuing a warning.

"Henry, next time something like this happens, I'll lay off and hang your head until you'll suffocate".

"Sir", my personal bodyguard intercepts. "He's here, hanging around the area".

"Take care of it", I demand. "I had sent him an invitation, but now don't let him in for any reason. Hire extra security if it is necessary".

Returning to the suite, I dial the phone number while undoing the annoying tie.

"Do you miss me already?", my best friend asks on the other side of the line as soon as he picks up. "How's the honeymoon going?"

"Amazing", it is all I say. It hasn't gone as planned, but except for the unexpected visit, I can't complain. "I want you here now".

"Is there something wrong, Adriano?"

"Here I'll explain it to you", I reply. "Don't forget my surprise'.

"Don't worry, that's impossible to forget".