"Besides, I really wanted to enjoy these days with my children and you...as a family", he adds, and automatically, a wave of heat spreads from the beginning of my stomach to my throat. "Fulfill your fantasy of the blessed Honeymoon, even if it were up to me, I wouldn't let you get out of bed".

All my anger disarms seeing him smile. Although fear and disappointment are still latent.

"You've made the wrong decision by bringing me here", I tell him, covering my eyes with my hands to calm tears. "You don't know what it means to me to be here. See every street, the buildings, remember what he did to me. He locked me up for three months in a penthouse, Adriano. I was his prisoner".

"I had no idea you felt this way", he intervenes. "If I had known..."

"Would you have stopped your little vendetta?", I question with a raised eyebrow. "We both know you wouldn't".

"I wouldn't have brought you", he finishes the sentence. "We can return right now, Cassandra, or..."

His expression hangs in the air, managing to pique my curiosity.

"Or what?"

"We could build new memories", he suggests. "The two of us, the kids. We could leave that past behind".

"You want me to leave it behind when you remind me of it over and over again", I point out with marked irony. "Why can't we leave it as it is? He being here and we being miles away in Italy".

He brings his face close to mine and brushes our noses before sealing our lips in a fleeting touch. Then, he slowly pulls away to give me the warmest smile I've ever seen.

"You're very good, cara", he says, throwing me off completely. "You forgive quickly..., but I don't. This will be the first of many hotels. I'll start with Oakland, then San Francisco, Las Vegas, Jersey... and so on until I'm number one and then..."

"Then what?", I ask with a lump in my throat, because I think I know the answer. Adriano is dedicated to investments, he is not interested in the hotel industry, the most logical thing would be to sell, but... he will somehow seek Dean's ruin or humiliation...

"No"

I refuse to be a part of this. Devil will not sit idly by and I fear the war that will break out between them with me in the middle.

"I don't want to be in his territory, Adriano, much less next to the man I belong to and lo..."

I'm suddenly speechless as I realize what I was about to say. An inexplicable fear shakes my body and permeates me to the bone. What if I told him the whole truth? Would he try something with me? Would he ignore me? Would he put an end to sleep with me? Would he void the contract?

I'm not sure of the answer and I'm not sure I want to know either.

"This won't be his territory very soon, cara", he counters. "Besides, with me you have nothing to fear. I've told you plenty of times", he alludes. "The devil cannot touch you even with a rose petal".

If I stayed... would I see him?

My parents are also close. Will they come to the opening?

I don't wanna see any of the three.

Being next to my husband I usually lose my memory and notion of time or place, but... will that be enough to erase my bad experiences in this city?

"Why does everything have to be so complicated with you, Adriano Di Lauro?". The thought escapes me out loud.

"You make it complicated, cara", he declares with a sneer. His personality is so volatile that he never ceases to amaze me. "In fact, it is quite simple. Forget outside world and enjoy the moment. Do not worry about anything or anyone except the children, your husband and the pleasure of being together".