Exploring the Camp

As soon as she raced out of the nursery, Fawnkit almost rammed right into an orange-and-white tom.

"Watch it!" He growled.

"S-sorry," She stammered. The tom's green eyes suddenly softened, and his growl turned into a purr of amusement.

"You're Minnowheart's kit, right?" He asked. "Looks like you've finally opened your eyes! And your littermates, too!" 

"Fawnkit! Why are you stalling?" Icekit called. His bright blue eyes flitted to the warrior, then landed back on her. "Shadekit and I are going to check out the fresh-kill pile!"

"I- I need to go," Fawnkit muttered nervously. She hurried after her littermates, not looking back.

"I'm Flamewhisker!" The older cat mewed after her. "I'll be happy to help you out!"

"Wow, you were talking to a warrior!" Shadekit breathed as Fawnkit caught up to her. "That's so cool!"

"I smell something tasty!" Fawnkit purred. "I think it's the fresh-kill pile."

The three kits scrambled to a stop besides a large pile of prey. A plump trout was lying at the top, its round eyes unseeing. 

"I see you've found the fresh-kill pile." A pretty yellow she-cat with a white front paw approached them. "I'm afraid you're still too young to eat prey!"

"We were just looking!" Icekit protested. "Did you actually catch that big trout?"

"I didn't," The she-cat purred. "But my apprentice did. I'm Flickerfoot, by the way."

"Whose your apprentice?" Shadekit asked.

"Petalpaw. The pale cream she-cat over there." Flickerfoot nodded to a young she-cat, who was showing a younger apprentice a battle move. 

"Wow," Icekit sniffed at the dead trout. "When I'm a warrior, I'm going to catch a huge trout like this one!"

"I'm going to catch two, then!" Fawnkit squealed. 

And I'm going to be the best warrior in RiverClan!