Chapter Forty Six

Start from the beginning

"Jesus, Zoe. So what now? I thought you said Ruiz told you you could go home."

"He did." Her voice is quiet. "My house is cleared, and he doesn't think there is a threat anymore."

"No threat?" That's almost laughable. The lengths this bastard has already gone to to interfere in Zoe's life prove he's a major threat.

"He's probably right, Tanner." She says. "Especially if he fled to Mexico. He obviously knew I would know it was him the second I found that ring, and that the cops would be onto him. He might be an asshole, but he's not stupid. He knows if he gets caught, he'll go away for a long time and he isn't going to risk that."

I guess Zane's stupidity is a matter of opinion. What if he's just lying low until the right moment? What if she's right, and he knew the heat would be on him, so he's just waiting for it to die down to make his next move? I don't want to scare Zoe, but I don't like how casual she's being about all of this, either.

"So they're just not looking for him?" I grit my teeth. What the hell, Ruiz? I thought she'd be in good hands with him, but now I'm second guessing that, too.

"No, they are. Ruiz said he's got reports out to all the surrounding police agencies to keep an eye out for him, so if he does try to come back, they'll be able to pick him up. He just doesn't think it's very likely that he will."

I run my fingers through my hair, shaking off some of the water. Zoe has underestimated this guy for a long time already, and it feels like that is exactly what's happening again.

"I think he's right, Tanner. This is ridiculous. I can't let him affect my life this way anymore. If he was still here, he would have tried something. You're a trigger for him, and if he knew I was staying here, it would have set him off. He's got to be gone by now."

"You really feel comfortable with that?" I don't, but it's not my decision and I have to respect that.

Zoe nods with the slightest bit of apprehension. "He said they're doing everything they can, and I believe him." She puts her hand to my cheek gently. "If I let this control me, then he wins."

"I know you feel like that, and believe me, I get it. But it's only been a few days. Can't you give it a little time and lie low?"

"That's not really in my nature." She grins, clicking her tongue. "And you, of all people, should understand that."

"I do." I don't have much room to talk in this department, and we both know it. In my heart, I feel like she's rushing to get back to normal, but I also get where she's coming from. "I just don't want to take any chances. I'd die something happened to you."

Zoe softens. "I promise you, I'll be careful about it and I'll follow all of Ruiz's recommendations. He said they'll have extra patrols around both my house and at work."

"You're sure you wouldn't be more comfortable staying here? I'm sure Ruiz would agree that it's the safer option. At least until a few more weeks pass. Or months..."

"Are you asking me to move in with you?" The smirk on her face is so damn cute,

"I, uh.. I guess I am... in a roundabout way." The words are out of my mouth before I really even know what I'm saying, but the longer they're out there, the more right it feels. What the hell are we waiting on, anyway? Maybe this can be a good thing that comes out of this mess with Zane. Maybe it's the catalyst we need.

When she doesn't answer right away, my defenses go up and I wonder if I've made a mistake.

"Tanner, I want to say yes. I love being here with you and the boys, and it already feels like home to me." She starts. "But I'm still trying to figure out how to be okay on my own. And I feel like I need to do that before I commit to moving in here. Trust me, that's my goal. I want to be with you—I want to be here, with you—but I don't want to rush it because of shitty circumstances. I don't want to move in here because I feel like I can't take care of myself. It needs to be the right timing."

Sometimes it really sucks having to grow up and be a responsible guy. Part of me wants to convince her that there is no time like the present and that we aren't rushing into anything, but I know it's bigger than that. As much as I want her here, she's right. Timing is everything.

"Fine." I lean forward, resting my forehead against hers. "As long as your promise that that's what we're working toward, I'll support whatever you need to do and we can take all the time you need. I love you and I'm not going anywhere."

"I love you, too, Tanner. And this is exactly what I want. I can't even tell you how happy it makes me to hear that it's what you want, too." A smile curls onto her lips as she brushes the softest whiskey kiss against me, her hands creeping into my swim shorts. "Now what do you say we table all of this heavy conversation and take advantage of my last night here for a while..."

I've got it so fucking bad for this girl, and she knows it.