INVESTIGATION STARTS!

Start from the beginning

"They must be talking about boring things and playing that boring game again. I am going to Heartslabyul with you guys." Grim shook his head before he jumped onto Deuce's shoulder and waved at you, "Have fun with Leona!"

After separating from the Heartslabyul squad, you entered the dormitory building built with rocks and stones. Perhaps it's because of Ace's teasing, you tried to think if there were actually something about the Spelldrive Team that could be reported to Leona, so as to hide the fact that you're here because you wanted to play chess with him. Thinking about that, you shook your head rapidly to remove the heat on your cheeks.

Hope he's not sleeping, you thought while walking through the corridors made with suspension bridges and entered the lounge. The first thing you saw was a bunch of Savanaclaw students, including their housewarden, Leona, standing in a circle near the pool, discussing something.

Leona turned to you and discovered your arrival before you walked toward them or called him. He turned to his housemate and said something that you couldn't hear, and dismissed the Savanaclaw students. They then left the lounge after greeting you as they walked by.

"Afternoon Herbivore." Leona greeted as he sat on the sofa next to a coffee table. "Finally free to play chess, right?"

You nodded while sitting down on the sofa opposite Leona. "Homework, you know, especially when Crewel is my class teacher." You sighed helplessly with a wry smile.

Leona took out the chess set from the drawer of the table. "Let's start." He said while gathering his hair on a side of his shoulder so as not to block his view.

Your skills had been improving a lot. Leona couldn't beat you like he did when you first played chess with him. "That's a great move, Herbivore. You did listen to your sensei's teachings, didn't you?" He smirked while resting his chin in his palm, moving his emerald eyes from the checkerboard to you.

"Beware of my pawn, sensei." You said while moving the pawn a square forward. You were trying to distract Leona, so he wouldn't be aware of your bishop on the other side, but Leona quickly escaped from the trap, as always.

"So, you have heard about the accidents on campus, right?" You asked during the second round after making the first move.

Leona's hand which was holding the chess piece paused a bit when he heard your question, but the pause was so short and tiny that you couldn't notice. "Ya, what's about that?" He asked casually as he placed the knight on the chessboard.

"Well, Crowley asked me to look into them, as he found them connected and kinda suspicious." You shrugged and told him about the request of the headmage.

Leona stopped again as he heard your word, this time, with his eyes widened a bit, but you couldn't see that as he was lowering his head, and his fringes with blocking his eyes from your point of view. He swallowed the shock and acted normal as he always did, "Investigating those accidents? I thought he had already assigned you to enough missions."

"I know, right?" You couldn't help but roll your eyes. Leona was totally correct. "And that's why the Heartslabyul squad and I came here earlier, to meet a potential target, Jack-kun."

Leona nodded while moving the queen piece along the diagonal. "Potential target? I see you have made some progress." He uttered.

You then told the upperclassman about the theory that someone was trying to eliminate all potential opponents from the tournament before the competition, and that the talented Spelldrive players seemed to be the targets.

"That's why you have to be careful, Leona." You reminded.

Leona looked up at you with a curious smirk while rising a brow, "What do you mean by that, Herbivore?"