Bonus Chapter #1: Rosebush

Comincia dall'inizio

Birchstorm sighs, seeming genuinely sad for a moment before going back to his original joyful mood.

Amberfur and Raggedfoot push their way through the crowd, the former grinning widely.

"You did it!" Amberfur mews, rushing up to Rosebush and licking her ear.

"You got such a great name," the golden tabby purrs, flicking her tail over her friend's shoulders.

"Thanks," Rosebush mews with an awkward chuckle.

Raggedfoot remains a little withdrawn, jaw clenched as he tries to plant his hind paw on the ground.

Eventually, he seems to give up and raises it again, clearing his throat and pivoting to face Nightwish.

"You were a great apprentice," he mutters a bit awkwardly through gritted teeth, whatever happiness he feels tempered by pain.

Nightwish simply nods back at her former mentor, perking up a little bit but scowling again once Rosebush turns to look at her.

Slightclaw follows closely behind Raggedfoot, murmuring something to his friend before stepping a bit closer.

Birchstorm quietly glowers at the silver tabby, but Slightclaw ignores him as his gaze wanders over to Rosebush.

The black-and-white tom exhales shakily, herding Nightwish off to a spot a bit further away.

"Congratulations," Slightclaw mews; although his tone is rather curt, a bit of warmth seems to accompany it.

Flustered, Rosebush hesitates until Amberfur gently nudges her in the side.

"Oh- thank you, Slightclaw," she mews, feeling her pelt grow warm.

Amberfur's expression becomes more and more mischievous by the moment, and as Slightclaw steps back to talk to Raggedfoot, the golden tabby grins at her friend.

"You're moony for 'im, aren't you?"

"Amberfur!" Rosebush whispers frantically, trying to hide her embarrassment.

"I'm not."

Amberfur carries on smiling at Rosebush with a certain smarmy grin until the black-ginger she-cat cracks under the pressure.

"Okay, okay, maybe I just think he's cool, and- well- you know.." Rosebush trails off into silence, feeling her fur prickle.

Amberfur grins even wider.

"So, basically you think he's handsome is what I'm hearing."

"Maybe just a little bit..."

The golden tabby chuckles, her long, tufted ears flopping as she rocks back and forth on her paws.

"Well, why don't you talk to him then?"

"What? No!"

"Fine, fine....but! We need to make sure you eat something before your vigil, and we can all sit together!"

Before Rosebush can utter a word of protest, Amberfur trots over to her mate and Slightclaw and murmurs something in Raggedfoot's ear.

Glancing back at Rosebush, Amberfur motions for her to come over.

Rosebush carefully pads over, curling her bushy tail in an arc above her head and pressing against the golden tabby's side.

"Let's go get you something to eat," Amberfur mews, subtly nudging her friend in Slightclaw's direction.

-=-

Now seated with a small squirrel between her paws, Rosebush picks at the furry creature and tries to pretend she isn't nervous.